Sign in with
Your question

BSOD Help!

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2009 3:45:25 PM

I built this rig around 3-4 months ago and have been slowly adding more parts to complete it. Just recently I added another 2gb's of RAM. everything seems to be acting strangely now. Almost all the time when I try to play any game I get an appcrash error. Also from time to time I will get a blue screen with error code 1033. I have tried going back to my old graphics drivers, tried setting everything to stock clocks/voltages nothing! Has anyone had any problems similar to this? What should I do?!

More about : bsod

a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2009 3:55:17 PM

since this all started after upgrading your RAM, I'd recommend getting memtest86 and see if it turns up any errors.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2009 4:00:30 PM

+1 to running Memtest86+.

Does the new RAM have the same speed/timings/voltage rating as the old RAM? What exact RAM kits do you have? You will probably need to manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS.
Related resources
August 12, 2009 4:00:33 PM

I have tried that. It came back with no errors on the memory! I just got another blue screen and was able to read something similar to 'Not Less Or Equal' or something? ..this sucks..
August 12, 2009 4:05:45 PM

go higher on the voltage, try 2.25v.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2009 4:13:43 PM

Wiiings12 said:
I have tried that. It came back with no errors on the memory! I just got another blue screen and was able to read something similar to 'Not Less Or Equal' or something? ..this sucks..

was the error you saw on the blue screen worded like this exactly? "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL" ? If that's what you saw, that's related to a driver incompatibility with your current hardware. If you are able to read near the bottom of the blue screen text, you should catch a clue as to what's causing it by the name. (ex. nv4_disp.dll would suggest a nvidia driver).
August 12, 2009 4:16:54 PM

Yes, that is the message I read on the top there. It says something on the bottom with a ton of numbers like "STOP: 0x00000...." there's a lot of numbers. Is there any way for me to somehow pause the blue screen? so I can actually read what it says?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2009 4:17:57 PM

If the voltage range is 2.1v - 2.3v then I would try it at up to 2.3v since that's what OCZ will warranty it up to. DDR2 OCZ RAM is notorious for requiring higher than normal voltage.
August 12, 2009 4:24:57 PM

I put it at 2.26. For some reason my mobo has limited options in that department. It was either 2.26v or 2.33v. I decided to try and stay on the safe side! Or would it not really matter? lol
August 12, 2009 4:34:45 PM

Here's the error report I get when I restart:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000008e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 81C77DD1
BCP3: 9B65B31C
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_6000
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

(I just installed a fresh copy of windows to try and fix this!, working on the updates now)
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2009 4:57:36 PM

If this isn't related to your RAM config, I found some references to Norton Internet Security being the culprit. Did you recently install this? Also, it may have been compounded by the combination of Norton, 4 GB of RAM, and Vista 32-bit. Here's the thread from MS Tech Net:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprov...
August 12, 2009 5:07:18 PM

I do not have norton, and I am pretty sure my ram is fine. again, not positive. but pretty sure. I am running memtest again right now just to verify. I AM however using AVG free antivirus, but that shouldn't matter because I have been using it since I made the computer and it has always been fine. I just got another BSOD and noticed it talking about a .sys file this time 'ndis.sys' any ideas?
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2009 5:15:46 PM

some more investigation on the NDIS.sys related blue screens suggest problems with either a faulty NIC, or installed driver for a NIC. If you have updated drivers specific to your motherboard, I'd try putting those on. Worst case scenario, disable that NIC and see if the problem goes away. If your motherboard only has 1 NIC this can be problematic for a long term solution
August 12, 2009 5:22:53 PM

hmm... I have never even heard of an nic... what is that? lol
August 12, 2009 5:32:10 PM

ahh.. nevermind. I think this must have something to do with my ethernet port or something.. I dont think I ever did install my mom's drivers.. I am gonna give that a try and see if anything changes
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2009 5:45:23 PM

you answered your own question, NIC is just short for network interface controller, basically the set of chips responsible for making the ethernet port work. Hopefully that covers your problem, you've done everything else right as far as I can tell
August 12, 2009 6:17:30 PM

Installed the drivers that came with my motherboard.. seems to have no effect! Still getting the BSOD, and in my honest opinion its a lot more frequent now!
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2009 6:27:59 PM

can you get into the BIOS and disable the network controller completely? That way you'll be able to tell if it ends the BSODs, and at least identify the cause. If putting manufacturer drivers did not work, I'm more suspicious of hardware failure.
August 12, 2009 6:27:59 PM

Ok, I see that some people have had the same problem as me and they just downloaded and installed new drivers from Realtek. I'm doing that now. Wish me luck!
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2009 6:29:21 PM

ok, give that a shot. Hopefully that's all it is. Bad drivers are easier to deal with than bad hardware.
August 12, 2009 6:29:57 PM

What do you think that would be under in the bios? I have never had to disable anything like this before. That would do the trick for me though, because I am using a wireless card, and don't use ethernet.
a b B Homebuilt system
August 12, 2009 6:33:44 PM

Wiiings12 said:
What do you think that would be under in the bios? I have never had to disable anything like this before. That would do the trick for me though, because I am using a wireless card, and don't use ethernet.

each BIOS is a little different, if you flip through it enough you should find it, but the manual will give you the precise location. Look for something like "peripherals", or "on-board controllers"
August 12, 2009 6:33:46 PM

lol sorry I keep posting with out refreshing. I just got the other drivers installed.to my surprise things seem to be running a lot smoother as of right now. no BSOD yet. But just for future reference, how would I disable it in the bios?
August 12, 2009 6:36:02 PM

okey doke! I think this driver fixed things. I can not thank you guys enough. This has fully consumed my last two days. haha I wouldn't have been able to solve this without everyone's help! Thank you all very much!
!