Sign in with
Your question

1 of 2 ram modules work

Last response: in Motherboards
February 3, 2010 3:00:38 PM

Hello,
I have a asus P5vdcmx mb with dual core processor and 2 hynix ddr2 pc533 512mb ram modules. However when both of the ram modules are installed, after a couple of hours of use my pc reboots and only one of them is identified. I took the ram module to the service center but they said it was fine. Could anyone please help me with this.

More about : ram modules work

February 3, 2010 3:03:29 PM

would provide further info. if necessary.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2010 4:12:05 PM

did u experience any flicker from ur screen?

how often does the reboots occur?
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2010 5:16:47 PM

whenever i insert the modules in the slot. after a couple of hours the system freezes or reboots and then instead of 2 modules only one is identified. actually have one lying uselessly bcoz of this problem.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2010 5:23:56 PM

then try using another PSU and see if this thing happens with two ram modules.

oh and b4 that whats ur system specs?
m
l
February 4, 2010 8:37:28 AM

Lutfij said:

ASUS P5VDCMX MOTHERBOARD
INTEL 2.8GHZ DUAL CORE PROCESSOR
2 MODULES OF 512MB HYNIX RAM
320GB SATA HDD SEAGATE
SMPS IS OF ZEBRONICS WHICH PROVIDES AS VOLTAGE OF
3.3V- 3.192
5V- 5.1..
12V- 11.584/11.648
LG DVD RW DRIVE

TRYING OUT ANOTHER CPU MIGHT BE A PROBLEM. THINK I SHOULD TELL YOU THIS ALSO THAT WHEN I TOOK IT TO THE SERVICE CENTRE HE CLEANED THE MODULE WITH THERMOCOL(SAID IT WAS A DAMPNESS PROBLEM) AND IT WORKER FINE FOR ANOTHER COUPLE HRS.
IS IT NOT POSSIBLE TO INTERCHANGE THE RAM SLOTS? LAST TIME I DID I GOT THE CONSTANT BEEP TONE.
WILL BE CHECKING IT WITH MEMTEST RIGHT NOW.
m
l
February 4, 2010 8:41:29 AM

Lutfij said:

I have already changed the psu once. Both the times the above quoted one was installed.No other model was available in calcutta.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 9:54:26 AM

condensation might be the problem - that mite be causing ur mobo to cause glitches...the last time i had this exprnc, i used a PSU that had less watt thats when i'd notice rare - quite frequent reboots.

wats the wattage on ur PSU?

interchange the ram slots but refer to your manual and see if they are compatible in a pair of single colored slots :S
m
l
February 4, 2010 10:38:14 AM

Lutfij said:
condensation might be the problem - that mite be causing ur mobo to cause glitches...the last time i had this exprnc, i used a PSU that had less watt thats when i'd notice rare - quite frequent reboots.

wats the wattage on ur PSU?

interchange the ram slots but refer to your manual and see if they are compatible in a pair of single colored slots :S

Just finished running the memtest. The particular ram module has 8 errors. Guess its wasted. Last time i ran memtest there werent any errors. Any sugg on which one to get next. I dont play any high end games, just use it for my regular needs such as downloading stuff. Running on 512mb ram makes the system pretty slow sine i have upgraded it to sp3 recently.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 10:45:40 AM

chances of u running into the same prob with the one surviving ram is high, u can get a 2GB kit DDR2 ofcourse - they'r quite cheap, try corsair, kingston or transcend.

get CPU-z to tell u abt ur processor model...is it a Pentium D?
m
l
February 4, 2010 3:11:18 PM

Lutfij said:
chances of u running into the same prob with the one surviving ram is high, u can get a 2GB kit DDR2 ofcourse - they'r quite cheap, try corsair, kingston or transcend.

get CPU-z to tell u abt ur processor model...is it a Pentium D?

Yes it is a pentium D.
What do u suggest i do to avoid the problem. I will be getting a 2 gb module but corsair & kingston i have heard doent have a service center in calcutta, so if there is problem it might take months for replacement. This was one of the reasons i got hynix in the 1st place
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 4:54:06 PM

:)  dont sweat it, wat other brands are able to manage in calcutta(w/ support ofcourse)!?
m
l
February 4, 2010 7:03:22 PM

Lutfij said:
:)  dont sweat it, wat other brands are able to manage in calcutta(w/ support ofcourse)!?

Unfortunately that is true. But still are hynix or zion any good? You earlier said about condensation. How should i deal with it?
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 7:31:05 PM

i once had hynix rams ddr1 - manufacrtured by hyundai modules.

1) i checked up on the zion site - see if u can get the overclocked 800mhz version if ur proc is a D 915 (FSB 800Mhz)
2) look in ur environment where ur pc is in...it should show signs, y its condensing
m
l
February 5, 2010 10:29:37 AM

Lutfij said:
i once had hynix rams ddr1 - manufacrtured by hyundai modules.

1) i checked up on the zion site - see if u can get the overclocked 800mhz version if ur proc is a D 915 (FSB 800Mhz)
2) look in ur environment where ur pc is in...it should show signs, y its condensing

It is an intel pentium d 820 and it has a rated fsb of 800.4mhz, so im guessing that i can get the 2gb overclocked one.
i just called the shop but they had no idea what i was talking about.

Secondly what kind of signs should i look for? my house is a bit damp, stays cold even in summer. what precautions should i take to save my pc from condensation.
For better choice of data:( as shown by cpuz)

Number of cores 2 (max 2)
Number of threads 2 (max 2)
Name Intel Pentium D 820
Codename SmithField
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x4)
CPUID F.4.7
Extended CPUID F.4
Core Stepping B0
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 2802.0 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 14.0 x 200.1 MHz
Rated Bus speed 800.6 MHz
Stock frequency 2800 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, EM64T
L1 Data cache 2 x 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache 2 x 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache 2 x 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2010 3:54:59 PM

ok, now abt the dampness issue its basically to do with ur room - how good is the cross ventilation in the room u have ur pc in? cos when air is stagnant, the room tends to be humid much of the time - and from the looks of ur CPU, the heat and the cool of the CPU stock fan is causing the condensation.

probably leaving the windows open for much of the time and maybe shifting the PC's placement will help.

ny news with the overclocking rams?
m
l
February 9, 2010 7:14:44 AM

Lutfij said:
ok, now abt the dampness issue its basically to do with ur room - how good is the cross ventilation in the room u have ur pc in? cos when air is stagnant, the room tends to be humid much of the time - and from the looks of ur CPU, the heat and the cool of the CPU stock fan is causing the condensation.

probably leaving the windows open for much of the time and maybe shifting the PC's placement will help.

ny news with the overclocking rams?

Will be geeting the rams shortly....

As for the room in which my pc is, the room has extremely good cross ventilation and as for the fans, i had 2 additional cabinet fans installed but my psu used to give a lot of problems with them on so had to unplug them. My pc has been working relatively better since then and now.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
February 9, 2010 8:12:31 PM

lemme knw how the rams work in ur rig,but is the condensation any problem now?
m
l
February 9, 2010 9:03:25 PM

Lutfij said:
lemme knw how the rams work in ur rig,but is the condensation any problem now?

will do. condensation is not a problem. atleast i hope not
m
l
!