Dep does not allow safely remove hardwear to run how do i solve this

jim_25

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
When I right click on safely remove hardwear I get error (An exception occured while trying to run "shell32.dll Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll"). Ihave discovered it is DEP that is blocking the programme and have tried changing the DEP settings but it still does the same. Any suggestions please. :cry:

You most likely have a resource running that needs the drive, even a browser, that is causing the problem.

Ton of reasons here.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=205071

jim_25

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Thanks for reply Hawkeye, so do I, this is only time I have had this, it seems it's to do with the processor it's a P4 2.8GHz with hyperthreading, think it may be something to do with the hyperthreading software support as it's the only time Iv'e used a chip with hyperthreading and only time iv'e had this problem. The pc has card readers on board but again never had this problem with them on other systems. Appreciate any help. Cheers

jim_25

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Hi, Thanks for the link, unfortunately none of these solve the problem, it is occuring as soon as I click on add remove hardware the error message appears, long before it even opens the window to select the hardware to be removed. Any other thoughts let me know. Cheers.

@Jim_25: Sorry, I was thinking something else. When you said Safely remove hardware, I was thinking of you clicking the system tray Icon.

Some computer processors also provide hardware-based DEP under various names. These processors use hardware technology to prevent programs from running code in protected memory locations. If your processor does not support hardware-based DEP, Windows will use software-based DEP to help protect your computer.

jim_25

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hi, It's when I click the system tray icon the message appears straight away before it even looks for hardware to be removed. Big thanks for your help so far, if anyone has any other ideas let me know.

What makes you think it's DEP considering it does the same when DEP is turned off? Does the error box specifically say it's DEP? Also, is DEP turned on in your bios? Sometimes it's listed as execute bit or something like that.

jim_25

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hi thanks again for reply, When I googled it suggested it could be to do with DEP running with the hyperthreading processor. When I click on details of error it says " When problem occured attempting to run dll as an App " error signature - AppName rundll32.exe AppvER. 5.1.2600.5512 ModName unknown ModVer 0.0.0.0 offset 000010e1 The only clues I could find were to do with DEP and possibly the hyperthreading processor support software, not sure how to turn off DEP in Bios but will have a look and see what I can find. Cheers for your support on this one, it's an interesting puzzle.

jim_25

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
As an afterthought, I haven't actually found how to turn off DEP in windows, it gives you the option to stop it from blocking files but when I type in anything related to this problem it tells me file not found. So as far as I can see DEP will continue running but you can apply changes to the file it is blocking but I haven't had any luck with that ither.

Yes, if DEP is turned on for all files, it will give you an exclusion list to tell it which programs to ignore. Rundll32.exe is used by a lot of programs. I think you would see it failing a lot more if DEP were the problem.

Here are a couple things that may help. These are similar problems.

http://geekswithblogs.net/WynApseTechnicalMusings/archive/2008/09/11/125092.aspx

http://www.ehow.com/how_7295415_fix-rundll32-microsoft.html

This last one shows you what all you can do with run32dll.exe. Like i said, if DEP were the problem, I'd expect to see it error more often.

http://www.winvistaclub.com/t57.html

jim_25

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hi thanks again for your time, seems the answer was to wipe the system and set it up again, had all the same software on a previous system with no problems so can only think it may have been something to do with a conflict possibly in the hyperthreading software, it may be a programme for a Sony Ericsson which runs in the background, I tried to remove this programme, (stopped it running first), and it just hung and wouldn't come out, strange creatures computers. Safely remove hardware runs fine now, haven't put the Sony Ericsson software back on yet. Thanks for all help.