Sign in with
Your question

CDROM drive will NOT launch game discs.

Last response: in Components
November 7, 2009 1:29:09 PM

Hey, I'm looking for some advice with a CDROM drive issue I'm having. When I insert any game disc, it will recognize it, but will not auto-run the disc, and it will not allow me to manually execute the installer. I can however explore the contents of the disc, but again it will not allow me to manually execute the installer.
I've tried everything from uninstalling the device, to updating the drivers, (no luck finding any).
Any help is appreciated!

~thanks in advance. :) 
November 7, 2009 1:36:59 PM

check that you don't have SecuROM installed on your pc. SecuROM is malicious software created by Sony that can cause damage to CDROM drives (as it damaged both of mine).
November 7, 2009 1:53:45 PM

Would I locate SecuROM through my process manager?
Related resources
November 7, 2009 2:00:18 PM

I forgot to mention that the drive will automatically launch every other type of disc I put in, i.e. audio and DVD discs.
November 7, 2009 2:42:04 PM

Can anyone give me a hand? I'd really like to get this problem solved so my girlfriend and I can get back to enjoying our day off gaming together!
November 7, 2009 3:02:47 PM

do a search on your 'c' drive (where all your program files and folders are). In the search box, type in:

*secu*

In the results that are returned by the search, look for anything there that says 'securom'

by the way, this is only to try to diagnose what caused the problem, not fix it.
November 7, 2009 3:17:53 PM

Ahh thank you, that's not the issue then. I've run out of ideas, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
November 7, 2009 3:21:48 PM

as long as the game is validly installed on your computer, there are ways to play some games without needing to insert the cd each time (known as a 'cd crack')
November 7, 2009 3:27:09 PM

Yes and I've done that for each game I have installed, but there are 5 or 6 others that I have been trying to get installed onto my drive but with no luck because of this issue. :( 
November 7, 2009 3:30:12 PM

you've probably had it then. time to buy a new cdrom drive for about $10
November 7, 2009 3:36:50 PM

Well I don't understand, it still plays DVD's and audio CD's without any problems what-so-ever...
November 7, 2009 3:43:37 PM

i'm off for a nap now anyway, maybe someone else can help though you'll be incredibly fortunate to resolve the problem through these forums in such a short time span.
!