Best Motherboard For OC'ing Nvidia 560ti + i5 2500k?

Mozzywoods

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm new to building computers, and I'm a little confused as to how over clocking works. I've currently got a P8H67-M PRO that apparently does not support over clocking (I was under the impression that all boards support this feature). Can anyone recommend a good mobo that supports over clocking my GPU (Nvidia 560ti) and CPU (Intel i5 2500k)? What exactly is a chip set, by the way?

Thanks,

- Mozzy

9_breaker

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
you don't really need to know what a Chooser is to know if it can oc.

p67 overclocks but has no on board video
h67 can't overclock but has on board video
z68 does both.

so any p67 is good for overclocking.

chickensushi

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Overclocking GPU is pretty easy. A lot of manufacturers make free programs you can just download and it's as easy and adjusting the slider and maybe asking around for some settings. The best program to use is the MSI Afterburner.

Overclocking CPU is a whole different story though and is quite complicated. There are tons of guides out there that are very long, so prepare yourself for a good read.

Mozzywoods

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
My worst fears have been confirmed! After reading all the sites saying that it does not in fact over clock, I tired it myself after being inspired by your comments. Turns out, it offers a very light weight overclocking, but nothing substantial.

I did use Afterburner though, it worked like a charm!