GA-MA69G-S3H- suddenl;y won't post first memory slot

drjby4

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
long time viewer first time questioner-

i just updated to xp-64bit. I had 2x2gb of crucial ram in the first two slots which worked fine with 32bit for 1 year+. they are not on the "approved list" but the identical 1gb and 512 modules are, so i figure that is just a lack of updating the list on gigabytes part. this board accepts 4x4gb.

after a complete reformat to 64bit, I added 2x2gb of identical ram in slots 3 & 4.

start her up, no post, long continuous beeps. according to manual this is a video card problem.

the long and short is I tried all the usual checks, video card seating, reset cmos, dadeda, etc. eventually figured out that it would start with 1,2 and/or 3 sticks of ram in slots 2,3 and/or 4. stick anything in slot one, same start up problem.

I had been running a PCI graphics card, but after problems reverted to the onboard graphics chipset. i do not believe graphics has anything to do with it.

i guess the question is, how, when i added memory, but did not even touch the first slot, could there be a problem with it?

i have not run memtest yet, but each of the sticks i have will work in the other slots, so... i think i can assume it's the board/slot.

the board is on auto for memory voltage, but is setting it at 1.8v. i haven't yet reloaded default bios settings, but i also haven't really modified any. i guess i will try that tonight just in case.

i have a nervous feeling for that lonely stick of ram and any hopes for any extra dual-channelability :sweat:

any suggestions welcome!

Cheers,
Matt

drjby4

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Oh, no softening of reality. Just pulls the dagger out and thrusts it right on in!

Still wish I could figure out how it went bad just by sticking RAM into two slots not even adjacent to it. I could understand if slot 2 went bad, since it is right there next to 3- I could have bumped it or something...