Case only works on its side

nessie1013

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
This is my first time building a computer with all new components--have only done refurbishments in the past.

I am using an Antec Sonata 3 case, Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard.

When installing the components, I placed the case on its side, with the access panel side facing up. I did several test boots with minimal components and they all went fine. Once everything was installed I was able to boot the computer, access BIOS, etc. However when I place the case the right way up, it will only occasionally boot, and only with the access panel removed. Most of the time the fans start, but there are no beeps, and everything cuts out for a second and then restarts. When placed on its side (including with the access panel on) it works perfectly and I was able to to install the OS and work normally on the computer.

Suggestions so far have been to tie the cables securely, remount the hard drive, and be more careful in pressing the power button. I've tried all of these, and there doesn't seem to be a difference. I've also tried leaving it unplugged for a lengthy time, and my perception is that this helps. This makes me suspect that's it's an electrical issue, but I don't know what would make it work lying on its side and not upright.

It sounds like you either have a short or the heat sink isn't properly installed.

You'll have to remove the motherboard from the case to properly check for a short. There should be a standoff under each hole in the motherboard with no extras that don't line up with a hole.

While the motherboard is outside the case you can make sure the HSF is properly installed. Make sure to read the instructions on how to install the HSF. The push-pins need to be rotated the opposite direction as the arrows.