Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
I use a NETGEAR ReadyNAS Duo as a download station for torrents, backup, and to store a lot of media. However, I have only been using a single 1TB drive in it so far and I really think I should add another one for redundancy. Performance is not a big concern, as I am limited by a 100Mbit network when doing remote reads/writes.

Now, for a few questions:

1) I see that the ReadyNAS Duo supports X-RAID. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using this approach compared to RAID1? I would ask on the NETGEAR forums, but I fear I'd just get biased opinions in favor of X-RAID.

2) I could add a 2TB drive without issues, correct? I am considering this option as the cost/GB of certain 2TB drives are a good bit better than 1TB drives. I realize I wouldn't be able to use the additional 1TB of space, but replacing the current 1TB drive down the road might be something I'd do. The cheapest 2TB drives for me start at €33/TB while 1TB drives are €47/TB and up.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I also have the duo but have always ran with with two drives.

1) With only two drives, X-RAID isn't a million miles away from RAID1. I think using the X-RAID will be slightly easier for migrating to two drives and increasing the size.

2) 2TB drive will be fine. If you want to be uber sure pick one from their supported hard drive list.

If you can afford it pick up 2 x 2TB drives but if not just get the one. Once the array has been initialised and it's using a 1TB and 2TB drive you should be able to replace the 1TB with another 2TB later on and the array should automatically expand using X-RAID.

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Cheers for the reply.

What exactly do you mean by "a million miles away"?

I really don't want to stretch the budget for 2 x 2TB drives at the moment and I don't have that urgent of a need for more space, so I'll stick with just one I think.

Rusting In Peace

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
To say something isn't a million miles away means there is very little difference.

If you don't want the extra redundancy just leave the duo with the single 1TB drive. Otherwise, adding a 2TB drive will work fine.

Kralnor

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

I knew that. What I was trying to get at was what the specific differences between running X-RAID and RAID1 were.

I'm getting the extra drive purely for redundancy.