Sign in with
Your question

What PSU will i need for 2X 9800GT?

Last response: in Components
November 7, 2009 2:42:14 PM

thinking about SLI with my Nvidia 9800GT, but have a 550 watt psu and a non-compatable MOBO. my MOBO was only £40 so i am planning to buy a New one, with SLI compatiblitly. i know my PSU isn't up to scratch, so how big of PSU should i get. also which Manufacture is the best for buying psu's?

i was thinking about buying a 600Watt PSU.
Here the rest of my specs:

Amd Athlon BE 2.7DC
250GB Maxtor HDD
DVD drive
Belkin 9000Wifi card.

so how many WATTAGE will i need and what make is the best. also i only have a budget of £70

More about : psu 9800gt

a c 144 ) Power supply
November 7, 2009 2:45:33 PM

A pair of 9600GT's together need about 20 amps (288 watts). A 600 watt PSU, depending on brand, could do. A 700 - 750 watt PSU would be better.
a c 248 ) Power supply
November 7, 2009 4:20:40 PM

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power a system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5XXX series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units.
!