Asus p5b and Intel Core 2 duo e6400

piper4123w

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2011
Ok so as we all know the new games coming out are demanding pretty high system specs. Im trying to run battlefield 3 and the only thing holding me back is my processor is at 2.13Ghz (default). Im kinda a noob at this so id like some help so i dont melt my computer. here is my system:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo e6400 2.13ghz
Mobo: Asus P5b
RAM: 4Gb DDR2
Gfx: Nvidia 9800gt
I have gotten it to overclock for a good 2min at 2.4ghz on my own but i got the blue screen. i was told it has to do with my memory frequency and voltage but, once again, im afraid to just mess with it.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-overclocking-guide

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, whatever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio. It should be a 1:1 ratio.

Now start pushing the FSB freq upward. Keep your core voltage under 1.5 volts and your load temps under 70 C.

To get any useful overclock, you will need better than stock cooling. If it will fit in your case, the Hiper 212+ for about $30 is a good choice.