Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on cable management (NZXT Beta)

Last response: in Systems
August 12, 2009 8:43:29 PM

I recently built a new computer, but at the advice of some forum posters, I returned my original PSU for a more powerful one. Now that I have everything I need, I want to make sure my cables are well managed. However, I'm not sure how crazy I should go.

I have an NZXT beta case. The case has two holes under the motherboard, one hole where the PSU sits, an opening where the hard drive goes, and two holes next to the motherboard. Here's a picture:

(Please excuse my poor picture-taking skills)

The case has one cable that controls the audio (pictured far left), one cable that connects to the USB ports on the front of the case (pictured middle right), and one cable that controls the LED lights and such (pictured far right):

Three SATA cables connect right above the cable that controls the LED lights and such (pictured far right, right bellow the GPU).

Here's what the case looks like on the inside:

Anyway, how do you think I should manage the cables? I want to have a plan before I go plugging stuff in.

Do you think I need to better manage the front pannel USB cable, the audio cable, and LED cables, or are they fine just sitting where they are? What should I do with the SATA cables?

Thanks.
August 12, 2009 9:19:02 PM

I always try to manage cable for easy access and quickly swapping out major components. Things that I will not be touching hardly at all I will tend to group together and secure out of the way (Front panel, USB, audio, LEDs, etc). I try to keep cables running at perpendiculars to the case's surfaces, though lengths and layout don't always make things easy so there's always some improvisation. I also try to prevent 'nests' of wires hanging out on the bottom of the case, reduces dust bunny buildup, and makes cleaning out the interior a bit easier. I try to bundle up slack tightly, but not so tight that I have difficulty undoing it later.
August 12, 2009 9:32:12 PM

Just from looking at the case I would suggest all cables out the back next to the PSU, bringing them in as needed through the side ports to the right of the MB.

Couple things:

Leave a cable out if your connecting fans on the left or rear of the case to a cable versus the MB (if you run out of sys fan slots on the MB) - cable wont reach out and around in that instance.

Alot of MB have a 8pin or 4pin next to the CPU...once again you can't route this cable out and back up to that spot - best you can do is plug it and take the extra out the PSU back hole if you can/bundle it.
Bring the gfx card cables in through bottom side slot, and MB in through top side slot (but make sure its the bottom cable in that slot)

SATA cable on HDD - turn the HDD around (if you can) so the excess cable is in the rear. (personally move the HDD up from the middle slot unless you think it is going to have heat issues, yes its cooling nicely there byt its also blocking front air flow to the rest of the case...If you cant you should thread those better / zip tie them to the back side of the cages..

Get some Zip Ties and try to get as many of those cables on the backside of the Opitical and HDD cages - bundle the wires then maybe use a zip tie to bundle them to one of the cage's slot openings to hold it in place.

If that doesn't make sense I can draw you a picture.

Note I don't use this case so others who do may have a better idea, but it seems like a pretty easy to use case.
Related resources
August 12, 2009 9:40:01 PM

I started trying to get things in order. I passed some SATA cables and front panel connectors through openings in the hard drive slots and such. This looks alright so far. What do you think?

I'm not sure what to do with the big bundle of PSU cables (not yet pictured) though. Can I just zip tie them in a bundle and let them sit right near the disk drive, or should I pass most of them through the back of the case? It's a Corsair power supply, and the cables are not modular.
August 12, 2009 9:54:25 PM

ryric, I tried to turn the HDD around, but it wouldn't lock in place for some reason. I think it's because the other end of the HDD is longer, so it doesn't go in all the way.

Should I put the HDD in the middle or at the very top?

Yes I'd appreciate a picture. But look at what I've done so far.

Thanks.
August 12, 2009 10:40:53 PM

Here's what it looks like with the PSU. Not sure what to do with all these cables!

Specifically, I don't know what to do with this cable:

That plugs into the very top left of my motherboard. I'll have a big long cord and I don't know what to do with it.
August 12, 2009 11:25:36 PM

Okay... I've done a little more.

I'm little worried about passing the cables through the back of the case. Adding the panel won't damage the cables, will it?

Do you guys think I'm on the right track? I could really use some help.
August 12, 2009 11:47:45 PM

just do it.....
August 12, 2009 11:49:05 PM

sorry that wasn't helpful

anyway, with mine i tied the 8pin and the 24 pin wires together and then pushed that bundle up against the drive bays and fixed it there....it took all the slack out of both lines
August 12, 2009 11:56:15 PM

What should I do with the big bunddle of cables left over from the PSU? Just stick it near the drive bay?
August 13, 2009 12:38:41 AM

Okay... I finished it off, but I'm a little worried. First, I'm not sure if stuffing the extra cables in the disk bay will impend air flow, but I have no idea what else to do with them. Someone who reviewed my case (using the same PSU) tied his cables and sort of let them hang outside the disk bay, but I'm not sure how to do that. Second, I'm not sure if putting the back panel over the cables I have running through the holes will possibly damage them. The panel slides on very snug and bends out a bit, so I'm not sure if that could be bad for the cables.

Here are some more pictures. Before I screw on the last panel and put this away, I would appreciate some opinions on how I have it set up. I probably won't be opening this up again for a while so I want to make sure it is squared away.

August 13, 2009 1:44:05 AM

Anyone else going to respond?
August 13, 2009 2:02:06 AM

After many years of careful study I have become an expert at cable management .

On every computer I build I manage to get the cables in the case and put the side panel on

August 13, 2009 2:03:39 AM

Outlander_04 said:
After many years of careful study I have become an expert at cable management .

On every computer I build I manage to get the cables in the case and put the side panel on

Ok... so... any advice for me? Lol.
August 13, 2009 3:40:15 AM

So I take it the PSU covers the rear hole to the back side of the case (right side panel as you looke at the front of the case?)

If you could thread at least a few of the cables through that top hole prior to installing the PSU you would be great, but from the looks of it I think the PSU may be covering it completely... If that is the case your it a bit of a tight spot in the sense there is no way to get those cables to the back side.

For now if the above is true take any cables that you are not using/hooked up to anything and thread them through the middle hole to the back side of the case. And no it shouldn't hurt your cables...thats why the case has that space...

If you cant thread the cables I recommend placing as many as possible between the cages and the Right side panel, this should keep them out of the way and not impede airflow.

What are the fan set-ups like on the case?'

Personally I would move the HD to the top slot, I've never really heard of anyone worrying to much about a HDD overheat...so having it disrupt airflow like that on what looks to be a 2 fan case doesn't make much sense...

Can we get a link to your build thread/can you post what your specs/you plan on doing with that comp (with no HSF I'm guessing its not a gaming build...)
August 13, 2009 4:18:11 AM

Quote:
So I take it the PSU covers the rear hole to the back side of the case (right side panel as you looke at the front of the case?)

If you're talking about what I think you are, then yeah, the PSU covers it. I didn't realize this when I first made my post.

Quote:
For now if the above is true take any cables that you are not using/hooked up to anything and thread them through the middle hole to the back side of the case. And no it shouldn't hurt your cables...thats why the case has that space...

I honestly don't see how I could thread most of the cables back there. Some of them are pretty long and have connectors up and down them. The back space is only about half an inch thick, maybe less. To fit, the cables wouldn't be able to be folded, but in that case they're so long they wouldn't have a place to end. I don't see how it would work. I'd need to see someone else do it first.

Quote:
If you cant thread the cables I recommend placing as many as possible between the cages and the Right side panel, this should keep them out of the way and not impede airflow.

What do you mean? The drive bay? Like I have it?

Quote:
What are the fan set-ups like on the case?'

One 120mm LED fan at the very front, on the bottom (where the HDD bay is), and one 120mm LED exhaust fan on the back (you should be able to see it in my pictures).

Quote:
Personally I would move the HD to the top slot, I've never really heard of anyone worrying to much about a HDD overheat...so having it disrupt airflow like that on what looks to be a 2 fan case doesn't make much sense...

Yeah, I moved it up (see latest pics).

Quote:
Can we get a link to your build thread/can you post what your specs/you plan on doing with that comp (with no HSF I'm guessing its not a gaming build...)

I'm intending this computer to be a mid-range gaming computer. In the future, I might add another GPU if I can fit it, and possibly another HDD.

The specs are:

Power supply - Corsair TX750w

Disk drive - Sony Optiarc DVD Burner with LightScribe

Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Motherboard - MSI K9A2 CF-F V2 AM2+/AM2 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard

Video card - MSI R4890-T2D1G OC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - OC Edition

RAM - OCZ Fatal1ty Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2F10664GK

Hard drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500418AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

Monitor - ASUS VH226H Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor

Case - NZXT Beta Series CS-NT-BETA-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Extra fan - 120mm Antec Tricool LED fan

Take a look at my latest pics above and tell me if you think that's good enough. I got tired of waiting for forum posts so I just plugged everything in. If it is horrible, I can always fix it later.
August 13, 2009 2:05:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I honestly don't see how I could thread most of the cables back there. Some of them are pretty long and have connectors up and down them. The back space is only about half an inch thick, maybe less. To fit, the cables wouldn't be able to be folded, but in that case they're so long they wouldn't have a place to end. I don't see how it would work. I'd need to see someone else do it first.
[/quote]

It takes a bit of work and possibly some taping but if you spread em out and don't have them overlapping you should be fine, I did it with a CM 690 and it takes some work but in the end its worth it. Easiest way is to push them through then slap the left side panel on and put the computer on its side so you can lay the cables as needed then push the right panel on and put it right side up again... Doing this you honestly woulnd't even need tape...

As far as putting on the side of the cages, by side I mean

[FRONT VIEW OF CAGES] PLACE CABLES HERE

This would be between the cages and the right side panel, similar in execution to the previous method to a degree, but probably a bit more space from the looks of it and you can put the sata cables and other cables that are in use over here out of the way while the ones not you can place behind the MOBO mounting panel as described above...

!