SSD 80% capacity efficiency

eric4277

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
I forget where I read it, but I read that running an SSD at 80% of max capacity is best for optimal performance. Then recently I heard someone else say 70% is best. Which is it? Is it 70/80% of the actual reported amount of space or the amount listed on the box?

I was considering a 120gb ssd and a cache ssd but that is gone down the toilet. Now I am wondering if I should just get a 240gb SSD or 2 120gbs. 2 120s would be cheaper than a 240gb (Which is kinda of stupid). What concerns me is if I buy a single 240gb I would only be able to use 168/192gb of the space. Would I be able to use a higher % on a higher capacity drive?(Yes I am aware that two 120gb drives would yield me the same amount of space.) 80% hurts but not as much as 70%.

Solution
Unlike HDDs, modern SSDs shouldn't slow down when they fill up. Whoever told you that 70% nonsense is talking out of his ass. SSDs have spare area reserved out of the box, anywhere from 7-20% I believe, so look at the useable capacity in specs and that's what you're getting. You don't need to lower the capacity any further

synce

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2011
Unlike HDDs, modern SSDs shouldn't slow down when they fill up. Whoever told you that 70% nonsense is talking out of his ass. SSDs have spare area reserved out of the box, anywhere from 7-20% I believe, so look at the useable capacity in specs and that's what you're getting. You don't need to lower the capacity any further

Solution

tecmo34

Administrator
70% is a little high or the other way to look is leaving 30% free for OP (Over-Provision). A SSD is similar to hard drive as more full the drive gets, the write speeds can slow down (has no effect on read). This steams from OP/GC/TRIM needing free space to work with. Here is a thread on the OCZ forum, which goes into more details... http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?85029-Understanding-SF1200-drives-TRIM-OP-area-use-and-Life-write-throttle

I recommend keeping roughly 10 to 15% free and limit (or avoid) running benchmarks, as they quickly eat up your OP and can cause the drive to throttle (more seen on Sandforce SSS's).

TRENDING THREADS