Is this normal why do i have 2 dns numbers and a ip addres

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
hello i am wondering i looke din the firewall its a advanced fiorewall small buisness series. however i use it for home and nothing else. very basic network i have but im wondering if my computer is being used as a server or somthin.

i noticed that i have a ddns1 dns2 and a ip adress number that are all similar but have a few numbers changed. i know what my ip adress is

and i am wondering is this normal to have 2 dns numbers? they start with 68.53.xx.xxx is this normal? i also have the usaul or is somthin realy wrong with this?

wuzy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
As GhislainG said, most ISP will have at least 2 DNS server available to use in case one goes down they've got another for backup. You can of course set primary and/or secondary DNS manually to a different address via network adapter properties in Windows or change it globally for all clients that hangs off the firewall/router/modem. By default most modem get their DNS server addresses from ISP that's been configured by WBS.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
ah ok. thank you much for replying. i was kinda wonderin bout this. had me slightly sppoked seing 3 and 3 or 4 diffent tunnles as well i beilieve those are normal cause i have ipv6 mode enabled hopeing for better security, with not to uch a performance hit on my firewall. i dont know alot about networking. been tryin to read aboout it on google.books free online. and of course asking questions when i find a troubling delima.

not sure if enablingdual stack ipv4 (for wan) and ipv6 for local, connections is the optimal way security wise and as well as for performance since i do do some online gaming MMO's. but if the speed hit is low and ipv6 provides more security then i always go the security route. however there are no VPN's and only 2pc's on the home network and we don't file share i disabled that. so im wondering if the ipv6 for local is even needed?

but again thanks for the reply about the original; problem had me ki9nda scrathen my head when i noticed it. just guess i never noticed it till the other day i was tinkering around tryin to update stuff anf get the hard firewall more configured. and learnign bout what each option means.

If you don't share files, then ipv6 serves no purpose. Even if you did, it provides additional security only on the LAN. Internet access still is through ipv4 and that's where an attack could originate from (though you apparently don't trust whoever uses the other PC).