HP Pavillion dv9574 Graphic Issue

khanbaba

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
Hi All,

When I power on my laptop, blue dots or blue lines appears on the screen. As soon windows vista boot screen comes, a multi color screen appears and it stays there until i restart. I have did all the troubleshooting such as memory modules replacement, factory restore, system recovery etc. but couldnt able to solve the issue.
When I go into safemode and remove the nvidia drivers, system starts working in 16bit color mode. I have installed several graphic drivers but then again multi color screen appears on windows boot screen.

As per my local repair shop, its an issue with integreated graphic chip and he can fix it by replacing it with another graphic chip. therefore no need to replace the board.

Is it possible to replace the chip ?? . please suggest.

Thanks
Alen

khanbaba

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
No its warranty has expired.

From another forum I received the following reply

"the main problem is solder material. You have 8600M video chip, the one that have a high rate of failure due to fatigue thermal solder failure. Better ask other repair shop or if you have EE skills you can repair it by re-flowing the GPU."

What do you think. ? Is there any permanent solution ?

Yup, that is the issue exactly.
nVidia really messed up quite a few of their chips last year.

I understand it can be repaired but I doubt it will be a permanent fix.
You will have to weigh the cost of the repair and the potential for future failure against the cost of a new laptop.
I have heard rumors of these repairs running to the $400 range.
At that point, I would say you are pretty close to the price of a new laptop (one with out a nVidia chipset...).

Even if you are out of warranty it may be worth while calling Hp about it.
My understanding is they have an extended period of repair just for this issue (even if the inital warranty has expired).