Sound Card - On the Board or Separate Card?

randylaw

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Currently pricing a new system based on the I-7 920 cpu. Trying to decide if a sound card is worth the $100 or so extra over sound on the MB. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Randy

Solution

Try onboard first, you will probably be fine. You can always add a sound card later.
I tried an add on card once and could not tell the difference. Tin ears perhaps...
If you care about the quality of you audio, yes it very much is worth it.
Just do your self a favor and avoid any Creative products....
For an excellent quality value card, I would highly recommend either the ASUS Xonar Dx (PCIe) or Xonar D1 (PCI).
Both offer exceptional sound quality, especially considering the price.

Try onboard first, you will probably be fine. You can always add a sound card later.
I tried an add on card once and could not tell the difference. Tin ears perhaps...

Solution

Onyx2291

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
It's honestly really hard to tell without testing them all. I had a $15 headset which I used for a year and thought it was fine.

When I upgraded to an $80 one it's amazing. Not saying there will be a difference, or if you will notice a difference, but it's hard to know unless you test because everyone has different ears.

Well, I have tried the HT Omega Striker, and I can tell you it deliver. The price is nice and the sound quality is awesome. 10 bands equalizer included for the sound that you research. This thing is ideal for music, videos and gaming. If I remember well, EAX is also supported. A nice 7.1 dolby compatible soundcard.

For 70$ it's a steal.

It will never be able to match a DSP emulating your sound. Sound cards are as important than video cards. If you can spend useless money on a LGA1366 board, you can spend 80$ on a high end dolby sound card for making your PC the perfect HTPC.

The difference in quality isn't even close. You can adjust every bands of sound to get the sound you want. Onboard sound don't do that.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I would just try the onboard first when you get it, if you like it, chalk it up as $$ saved and be happy. If it's not to your liking, get an add on card. But I know on my board, it is supposed to be 7.1 hi def sound. Don't ask me how true that is, but seems fine for what I do.

randylaw

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Thanks for the feedback. I've decided to save a few bucks and go with the onboard sound. As has been suggested twice, I can always upgrade later if not satisfied. Also, thanks for the alternatives to Creative. I have always used Creative's cards in the past and have had no trouble, but its been 5 - 6 years since I've purchased one.

Thanks again