Sign in with
Your question

Upgrading My SSD

Last response: in Storage
May 29, 2011 2:34:27 AM

I currently have an ASUS G73JW in which I am using a 60 GB OCZ Vertex 2 drive. 60 GB isn't nearly enough. In addition I am about to ship the laptop off to have some warranty work done, so I figure now is a good time to upgrade my drive. My question is this:

My laptop disc controller is SATA II. I know that the Vertex 3 is the fastest drive going right now, but how much of that speed relies on the new Sandforce controller and how much on the SATA III interface? Also, I have heard there are some issues with the Vertex 3 and mobile platforms. Any truth to this?

Can someone recommend a good SSD with an explanation as to why? I have searched (I swear, I really have) and it's very hard to get a straight answer, particularly when it comes to the SATA II vs III issue.

My criteria as fairly simple:
Price is an issue, but not a deal breaker. I will spend 500 bucks if I have to.
I have a Synology DS410 w/ 4 x 2 TB drives in Raid 5. That handles my large files, so large sequential read/write aren't as important to me as fast random read and write of smaller files.

I want my laptop to boot quickly, and load websites, PDFs and applications virtually instantly. I also like Windows 7 indexing system. It's the first MS search I have found worth a damn. So I would like the drive to be able to work well with that as well.

I am still leaning towards the Vertex 3, but I don't plan on making the purchase until Monday or Tuesday at the earliest anyhow, so I figured I'd see what you guys have to say on the subject.

Thanks!

-Darrakk

More about : upgrading ssd

May 29, 2011 2:41:19 PM

I have heard all Crucial drives stink, and that I should stick with LaCie. Any truth to this? My friend says that OCZ have about a 28% fail rate out of the box. He says SSDs aren't mature enough yet and should be avoided. What do you guys think?
m
l
May 29, 2011 5:23:08 PM

SSD's are great for a boot drive at the moment. If your laptop has only one HDD space, I wouldn't recommend getting one. They are really not good for a primary drive.
BTW, I have a Crucial, and it doesn't stink.
m
l
Related resources
May 29, 2011 6:02:25 PM

I have room for 2 drives. I was actually leaning toward a crucial, but I find you tend to get more replies with negativity than otherwise.

Right now I am leaning towards a Crucial M4 C400 256GB
m
l
May 29, 2011 6:08:34 PM

I've got the C300 64gb on SataIII port. If you have Sata III, the M4 256gb is 4 times the speeds. That would be awesome along side a storage HDD.
m
l
a c 167 G Storage
May 29, 2011 6:26:40 PM

From what I can find, all current SSD's will perform about the same in normal desktop operations. That is, the random read and writes at nominal queue lengths are remarkably similar. Sata 2 vs 3 makes a difference only in sequential benchmarks.

I currently think the Intel 320 series are probably the safest. Intel has had fewer returns of SSD's in the past:
http://www.behardware.com/articles/810-6/components-ret...
m
l
May 29, 2011 6:31:08 PM

Thanks for the advice. That was my main concern, SATA II vs III. I am limited to II. I know the vast majority of data moved on the OS drive is smaller chunks, 8kb in size and the like. I just want an SSD to load apps quickly. I have a 500gb 7200RPM drive in the other slot, as well as 4x2TB drives in Raid 5 in my NAS. So the SSD is purely for Win7 and application performance.
m
l
May 29, 2011 7:00:01 PM

Your read/write speeds with a Sata III drive inserted on a Sata II port will yield about 1/2 those advertised for Sata III. Half speeds of the M4 256gb will still be impressive. Note that the r/w speeds of the SSDs are directly proportionate to the size of the drives.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
May 30, 2011 4:55:43 AM

Benchmarks are great, But real life is still relevant.
Currently I have 2 laptops with SSDs and two desktops with SSDs. The desktop that I building has an Agility 3 120 gig drive; have just installed windows 7 so no programs. It boots in about 10 sec. My current Desktop has a Phoenix Pro (Sata II, Sf1200) and it boots in 20 sec. Outside of boot time I do NOT think I’ll see much difference. When I click on a recent doc (Excel spread sheet) it loads the program and the spreadsheet before I can get the mouse to a cell. A faster SSD may do it faster – But no advantage. Might be a difference if spreadsheet was very large. As long as the SSD is not a low end unit I would not be too tied up with benchmarks.
As to reliability; I have 1 Intel 80 gig G2, 1 Intel 80 Gig G1, 1 WD Digital Blue 128 Gig (Low end), 1 Patriot Torqx 128 gig, 1 Phoenix Pro 120 gig, and Just bought 2 Agility 3 120 gig drives. Excluding the last two (have not had long enough) I have had Not one problem with them.

I fully agree with geofelt’s comment “I currently think the Intel 320 series are probably the safest. Intel has had fewer returns of SSD's in the past:”
m
l
June 7, 2011 12:25:16 AM

I ended up getting a 180GB OCZ Vertex 2 Extended. I figure I am happy with the performance I am getting out of my 60GB OCZ, so I might as well stay with the same. Thanks for the replies!
m
l
!