AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz 4x512KB

Tags:
  • AMD
  • CPUs
  • Phenom
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
October 9, 2011 8:40:54 AM

Hello men, i want to overclock my PC, but when i put CPU Ratio to x18.5, and goes to 3.7GHz, i put the CPU Voltage to 1.3875 and next 3-4 minutes my pc freeze...

So, i ask you: Can you help me to OVC my pc?

Those are the components:
- AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz 4x512KB
- ASUS AM3 M4A88T-M/USB3
- DDR3 1333Mhz PC10666 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4GBRH CL7
- ATI HD5770 XFX 1024MB 2xDVI/HDMI/DP
- Corsair CMPSU-450VXEU 450W
- Western Digital 500GB WD5001AALS 7200rpm 32MB Black

I have the stock fan on the CPU...

Thanks a lot =)

More about : amd phenom 965 4ghz 4x512kb

October 9, 2011 9:47:26 PM

That voltage is too high for such a low overclock. You should probably be at aroung 1.35
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 9, 2011 9:58:36 PM

Get a better cooler...The stock cooler is barely enough to cool it at stock speeds. The coolermaster Hyper 212+ works really well and its cheap....currently its $26.00 USD at Newegg..Then you can push the chip with confidence....You could shoot for 4.0+ GHz !!!
Related resources
October 13, 2011 1:56:39 PM

Case fans definitely help air flow, but without a good heatsink and fan your CPU will still heat up. The 965 has OC potential, you should look into buying a highly reviewed and recommended heatsink/fan combo. I like my Zalman brand heatsink. :) 
October 13, 2011 5:12:11 PM

I've got my 955BE running @ 3.9 with the stock voltage.

I'm using the Sunbeam Core Contact freezer 120, and that is inside of an Antec 900.

Lots of fans to keep everything cool, my load temps rarely exceed 58C.
October 13, 2011 6:27:22 PM

JBski said:
I've got my 955BE running @ 3.9 with the stock voltage.

I'm using the Sunbeam Core Contact freezer 120, and that is inside of an Antec 900.

Lots of fans to keep everything cool, my load temps rarely exceed 58C.

I feel like 58C is a bit high to be running on. I'm more of a caution-freak, but I keep my CPU under 55C at all times and under 50C if I can help it. I'm a little surprised you could get 3.9GHz on stock voltage, bravo.
October 13, 2011 7:02:23 PM

dorkydude666 said:
I feel like 58C is a bit high to be running on. I'm more of a caution-freak, but I keep my CPU under 55C at all times and under 50C if I can help it. I'm a little surprised you could get 3.9GHz on stock voltage, bravo.

The absolute highest that I've ever recorded was 62C, while running Intel Burn test. Nothing else I run even comes close to those temps, not Prime 95, and not GTAIV after gaming for a few hours. I idle at 42C.

Most of the time under load I see around 55-58 while gaming or running Prime 95, depending on how hot it is outside.

Edit: I can boot Win 7 @ 4.0 GHz at the stock voltage too, however it isn't stable enough to do much more than that.

I'm okay with 3.9 off of the multiplier only at stock voltage, should be able to keep this long enough to either wait out Bulldozer for something better, or until sandybridge prices come down again. :D 

My last overvolted AMD chip that I had was a 5000+BE that I had humming along around 3.2 GHz for a couple of years, until one of the cores died :( . I'm hoping that keeping the voltage stock will help me keep this around for a couple more years at least.

I don't know if it's the C3 stepping, the 890FX chipset, or a combo of both, but mine likes to run where it is at.

Sort of makes me wonder how fast this one could go with water cooling and more voltage, something I may do within the year to squeeze a little more out of it while I wait out Bulldozer.
October 13, 2011 7:53:51 PM

I wish I could try overclocking my system. I tried for the first time about a month ago and since then my computer freezes after 4-6 hours of use, load or not. I made a post about it, but I don't think I'm going to get any help on the issue. Might try my luck in the motherboard forum.

However, I would REALLY like to try OCing my 965BE on my 890FX board. I see a lot of people hitting 4.0GHz simply changing the CPU multiplier from x17 to x20. *jealous*
October 13, 2011 10:30:55 PM

dorkydude666 said:
I wish I could try overclocking my system. I tried for the first time about a month ago and since then my computer freezes after 4-6 hours of use, load or not. I made a post about it, but I don't think I'm going to get any help on the issue. Might try my luck in the motherboard forum.

However, I would REALLY like to try OCing my 965BE on my 890FX board. I see a lot of people hitting 4.0GHz simply changing the CPU multiplier from x17 to x20. *jealous*

You may have accidentally over did it and took out either the CPU or the board. :( 

A co-worker here KO'ed a brand new Phenom II X4 965 just by messing around with the HT speed. He adjusted it up, rebooted, and then it never posted again with that CPU. :( 

When I overclock stuff, I always run a better cooler than the stock solution, and start with the multiplier first to find the limit. If I'm pushing the bleeding edge, I find the limit with the multiplier, bump up the voltage by a small amount (.010 of a volt at a time) until stability is reached, or until CPU temps creep up, and then stop. If I wanted to overclock more than that (like overclocking ram) I find the maximum stable speed with the multiplier, and then bump the base clock up, and the HT down (I like to keep it around stock frequency) until I get the system speed I desire.

I haven't been able to kill one while overclocking out right while using this method, however, I did manage to kill one, eventually. I've never killed one with just the multiplier, either, however I always start at the stock settings and increase them by .5 until I can't boot my OS, or until I can't get through the Mobo POST.

Start small, and take your time, don't go for the big numbers right off of the first boot, gradual increases are what you want until you find the edge. It took me the better part of a Saturday to tune mine to 3.9 and to make sure it was stable, and I didn't do anything other than raise the multiplier. My 780G rig with the +5000 took me the better part of a week of tweaking to get it where I wanted it, as with that one I not only overvolted the CPU, but ran it on the edge of stability for the better part of 2 years. I think with that one I ran a base clock of 235. :D  I figured with this one I would shoot more towards longevity than hotrodding, as the Phenom II was significantly more powerful than that old Athelon, and doing more than the overclock of 3.9 dives into diminishing returns at the expense of CPU life. On the other side of the coin, most folks who overclock plan on getting the latest and greatest every couple of years anyway, and if the old stuff lasts until the next gen of chip comes out, no harm, no foul. :D  I figure I can keep my system the way it is and play the current games for the next two years at least, with maybe a video card upgrade before I would have to upgrade the whole thing.
October 13, 2011 11:01:32 PM

I feel like we've hijacked this thread from thebiglord. Sorry bud!

I'm glad I didn't fry my board or CPU outright, it still runs but now with hiccups. Not the greatest outcome but it could have been worse. It has currently been running for almost two days (sleep mode while I'm at work and sleeping with good usage between each). I haven't done anything different, I just hope my system found a groove it can work with. :p 

I'll be heading to the motherboard forum shortly to see what they think (if anybody posts that is). With my computer having a hot streak right now I'm getting a bit optimistic. :) 
October 14, 2011 12:06:25 AM

Quote:
Its best to not let your Phenom go over 55C..

62C is max temp limit for those chips and they like to be ran at under 55C in general.

If you are running stock voltage and hitting those temps, you want a better cooler.

Yeah, I think I need to blow the dust bunnies out of my cooler.

Ran Prime 95 for about 10min and hit 60C, its never done that before at its current settings. :( 

Browsing the internet/idle its sitting around 42C right now.. it usually idles around 38-40.
October 14, 2011 12:45:39 AM

Quote:
You can hit some crazy ocs/temps if you pick up a new cooler to oc that gg chip.

My Noctua NH-D14 keeps my 965BE @ 1.52V 3.8ghz cooled to 30C idle (36C web browsing) and 52C max temp prime95 2hours.

I expect you to be able to push that chip pretty damn far if you wanted to try.

You are using the stock cooler atm?? Mine was overheating my pc so I replaced it with the hyper 212 plus at first and that had my temps much more managable but still I wanted to max oc it on air so I picked up the noctua lol. I wish I had a chip like yers >_<

I wonder what kind of freq you are able to hit with a better cooler :o 

I'm using a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 120. I bought the Core contact a couple of years ago for my old 5400+, as it was one of the better coolers around at the time. It said it was rated for up to 125W processors, so I figure it would at least work better than the stock cooler, which it does.

I just went cooler shopping again, and discovered that massive Noctua cooler.

I've got lots of real estate in the ol Antec 900, so I'll be picking one of those up shortly. :D 

Of course, nothing is too big, I've been known to make "speed" holes to get things to fit. :D 

(This is an old setup with the 5400+)

October 14, 2011 2:03:56 AM

So I decided to crack the case open real quick and take a look at my cooler...

Seems I almost have what amounts to a blanket piled up between the cooler and the fan... So that explains the lackluster performance of the cooler... Ah, the double-edged sword that is the Antec 900. :( 

I also had a brainwave, and swapped the fan around to pull air through the cooler, rather than push it. I figured that this may work better as I have the cooler swapped around so the fan would not interfere with my ram slots. So instead of fighting my exhaust fan for air it pulls air through the cooler, right into the exhaust fan, which I set to high.

Temps went way down, 10 min of Prime 95 netted me a max temp of 54C. Idle dropped down to 33C. :bounce: 

Guess I don't need a new cooler just yet, I just need to clean it every couple of months. :D 

Edit: on a related note, I'm tired of limping along the stock 120mm fan that my cooler came with, I cleaned it out about 5 months ago and the bearings started to sing, I lubed it up with some white lithium and then forgot about it, cleaned the fan about 10 min ago and now it's loud again, boo.
November 23, 2011 7:47:13 AM

My 965be is running stable and cool at 4026. It idles at 36c on a hyper212+ in a pushpull configuration, sitting inside an antec 600 5 fan case. At Load while playing a game(mostly bfbc2) and recording tv shows at the same time(msi hybrid tuner) it never goes above 53c. This is in a warm room. Heres the Validation. http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2112000 Plenty of fans, good cable management, and a decent aftermarket hs and fan will take you where you need to go for overclocking nice and cool.
!