Sign in with
Your question

3G wirless Brodcasting

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 30, 2010 1:37:53 AM

Is there a way that I can brodcast my wirless signal from my modem, provided by my cell phone company(cricket), to my laptop/ipod via my desktop? Id love to broadcast my signal because I do not want to pay for to internet services. lol
Thanks,
TJ

More about : wirless brodcasting

Anonymous
January 30, 2010 5:07:07 AM

I'm not sure I quite understand the technology you're using but if you add a regular 802g or 802n wireless router and your cellphone has wifi capability (or you have a wifi enabled computer) you may be able to share the internet connection.

I suspect you'd still end up paying for internet -- because it has to come from somewhere. Anyway I hope this helps a little.
January 30, 2010 4:27:04 PM

My internet is provided by my phone company. Lik verizons 3g modem but its an off brand(cricket wirless) I do not have the internet on my phone it is just coming from the wirless internet usb 3-g modem. I was wondring if I could plug it into my pc as usuall but have my laptop also pick up the signal. It is not a hotspot antenna or anything it is just a modem that is only supposed to give the internet to the computer its plugged into. It has its own cell phone number. I was wondering If I could take my signal that I have on my desktop and share it with my laptop via its standard wifi card by using a router.
New egg has one of these routers but it says it works for verizon and sprint. Could it work for mine aswell?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...\

Im not good at this kind of stuff (still learning)
Thanks again! :) 
May 12, 2010 12:18:55 AM

Hey rosco, I also have the cricket usb modem though its on the EDGE network. And I am also looking to broadcast my signal through my wireless router thus no luck in finding an answer yet. Also I am paying for unlimited net. But my problem is also that after about 4 gbs total load cricket seems to cut the net down to a crawl. I downloaded a program for work which was 4 gigs in size. Since then average speed is around 5-10 kbs download. I know this because i had to redownload that file. Its going on a week to finish the DL. Has yours been this slow too? And yes if you find/found and answer to the wireless router broadcast problem please email me at couplejust4playin@yahoo.com. I also heard a rumor you could set up an ad-hoc to do this but i could not find the right way to do this.
!