Sign in with
Your question

Windows explorer sees FAT32, but CHKDSK sees RAW

Tags:
  • Windows Explorer
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
January 20, 2012 6:15:00 PM

I have a laptop (ACER 5102WLMi) running XP Media Center, w/SP3. Somewhere along the line, possible after resizing the partitions w/EASUS, the computer started giving me 'write delay failure' errors. Nothing I could find worked to resolve that issue, but in the process of tinkering, I found that I have a RAW problem, too.

The HD is approx. 112 GB, with 3 partitions; 5GB hidden 'restore' partition put there by the manufacturer (no driver letter); 63GB C: drive, and 54GB D: drive. Windows explorer sees C: drive as FAT32 (recently converted D: to NTFS), and both C: and D: drives are fully accessable.

However, CHKDSK sees C: as RAW, as does convert command, when I try to convert C: to NTFS. Ran TestDisk to try and fix RAW situation, but it ultimately gives me a "write error" at the final phase. How do I fix this issue?!

Thanks.

More about : windows explorer sees fat32 chkdsk sees raw

January 20, 2012 8:17:31 PM

Me2-BFD said:
I have a laptop (ACER 5102WLMi) running XP Media Center, w/SP3. Somewhere along the line, possible after resizing the partitions w/EASUS, the computer started giving me 'write delay failure' errors. Nothing I could find worked to resolve that issue, but in the process of tinkering, I found that I have a RAW problem, too.

The HD is approx. 112 GB, with 3 partitions; 5GB hidden 'restore' partition put there by the manufacturer (no driver letter); 53GB C: drive, and 54GB D: drive. Windows explorer sees C: drive as FAT32 (recently converted D: to NTFS), and both C: and D: drives are fully accessable.

However, CHKDSK sees C: as RAW, as does convert command, when I try to convert C: to NTFS. Ran TestDisk to try and fix RAW situation, but it ultimately gives me a "write error" at the final phase. How do I fix this issue?!

Thanks.

What does disk management show ? If explorer and disk management jibe, and drives accessable, leave well enough alone is my advice. Using 3rd party software to do functions already in windows OS, I could never understand, lst alone, using still another 3rd party APP to correct what the 1st one did, but people do it. The actual problem (RAW )can occur when resizing, which evidently happened when using easeus. Take a look at this link for MS disk management, as it may be of use.
m
l
January 20, 2012 11:27:20 PM

Disk Mgmt shows the same as Windows Explorer (hidden 'restore' partition, FAT32 C: drive, and NTFS D: drive); but leaving things as is, means I can't convert my C: drive to NTFS, or (I'm assuming) use any lower level utilities, like chkdsk. Also, I'm thinking the mix-up may be part of the reason I'm getting frequent 'write delay failure' errors. Any thoughts, anyone?
Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
January 21, 2012 8:16:34 PM

One more curious fact; the upper window of Disk Management (as well as Windows Explorer) shows the C: Drive as being 10GB larger that the lower half (63GB vs 53GB); so there appears to be some unallocated space in there someplace, that doesn't show. The drive is actually 120GB, total (HITACHI Travelstar 4K120 HTS421212H9AT00). Thanks for any advice, input or suggestions.
m
l
January 26, 2012 6:38:04 PM

Problem remains unresolved; anyone else have any suggestions on this issue? Thanks.
m
l
February 5, 2012 12:36:00 AM

I can't believe, with all the brainiacs that frequent this board, that nobody knows how to fix this problem. Please help.
m
l
March 6, 2012 10:32:16 AM

Hello,

Got the raw error?

I once had my flash drive got raw filesystem when checking its property and it shows 0 bytes. I was worried since all my photos saved on flash drive seemed gone.

But with TestDisk, the freeware could make the problem simple and easy to fix. However TestDisk is under DOS and not very easy to use. I don't think it is user friendly.

Anyway, you got to get the raw fixed.
m
l
March 6, 2012 11:36:23 AM

ff332 said:
Hello,

Got the raw error?

I once had my flash drive got raw filesystem when checking its property and it shows 0 bytes. I was worried since all my photos saved on flash drive seemed gone.

But with TestDisk, the freeware could make the problem simple and easy to fix. However TestDisk is under DOS and not very easy to use. I don't think it is user friendly.

Anyway, you got to get the raw fixed.

TestDisk is not working in his case accroding to what he reported. The disk might got partition table errors. Or bad sector lies there.

IF you still cannot fix the problem, start a disk scanning for bad blocks. Or you may ask your local computer shop for help.
m
l
!