Hi guys
i have a homebuilt pc:

i5 750 at stock 2.67Ghz
unknown foxconn mobo
4gigs ddr3 1333Mhz
Amd 6970
700 watt coolermaster psu
aero cool rs9 case

it might look ok on paper but it is starting to show its age. It dosent lag but i am looking at the new i7 2600k. is it worth the upgrade or should i just overclock? if so please give me a guide as i am new to overcolcking spicific to the cpu :bounce:

p4nz3rm4d

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
the i7 is not the direction u shld be looking... as that looks like a purely gaming system and ull not need all that power! u shld always try overclocking b4 gettin rid of a cpu...as it probably has some oomph left. i wld try OCing it a bit, as that is a nice cpu to play round with... :hello:

If you don't get any slowdowns and it's as fast as you need it to be why worry about it? Well o.k we all want it as fast as we can get it :D. Anyway, it's not really worth it to replace your motherboard and CPU to go to sandy bridge. At least wait till ivy bridge. That said get a good CPU cooler and overclock the crap out of it. If you want to add anything then add another 6970 to run in CF assuming you have a CF motherboard.

Try to OC it, but your motherboard might not be up to par. Foxconn is not generally good, so unless it is an inferno board, I wouldn't overclock too far. Also, if you want a new CPU, look into a core i5 2500k. 2600k is for video editing and very heavy threaded applications, where the core i3 and core i5 series is aimed toward games.

Lutfij

Titan
turbo boost is a small increment and it only throttles your cpu in certain scenarios - not take you to 4GHz. Even for a mild OC, getting a cheap aftermarket cooler would be the way to go instead of a CPU :lol:.

hyper 212 evo FTW ? or maybe a hyper 212+...?

* to answer your thread question - no it ain't worth it unless you have cash to splash

Well, because I have been overclocking since 1978 (we didn't call it that back then), I'll say, "Of course, it is worth it."

With a good after market cooler and a little care, you should be able to safely reach 3.5 - 3.6 GHz without measurably affecting service life.

The Hiper 212+ (about $30) is probably the all time cooler bargain in terms of price-performance ratio - if it fits in your case.

Lutfij

Titan
I dont know what cooler im using but its verry small and its cooler master i didnt buy it seperateley but it came with my origional computer that was a packard bell.

can you take a pic of the cooler?
also;
what are your ambient temps?
last time i prescribed a cooler to a forum member, he had high ambient temps that mislead him to think his cooler was bad(even after multiple TIM applications)