Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Storage configuration SSD/HDD

Last response: in Storage
Share
May 29, 2011 2:10:51 PM

Can anyone point me to a step by step guide for installing an SSD/HDD configuration?
1. When I install Win7 to the SSD should the HDD be connected or not?
2. Do I also install Win7 to the HDD or only format it, it is presently my c: drive.
I’ve read all the “Useful SSD Articles” in the top of the SSD forum but these questions I don’t think were cited.
Thanks all
a b G Storage
May 29, 2011 2:46:12 PM

You should disconnect the hdd and install on the ssd

Bios controller should be set to AHCI

Install up to date intel rst driver for best results on intel platform.

Oh, guide... This site has some very well written and easy to follow information.

http://thessdreview.com/category/ssd-guides/

(I admit Big Lucky John put me on to this site)
m
0
l
a b G Storage
May 29, 2011 2:49:38 PM

gerry410 said:
2. Do I also install Win7 to the HDD or only format it, it is presently my c: drive.


I would not do anything with the hdd until you have a solid boot drive on the ssd. Is the ssd 120gb or better? That way you can always go back. But, eventually you will format the hdd and use it for raw storage. It's so nice to have a drive with no windows folder mess on it. This is the biggest drawback to z68 caching is that you still have the folder mess on your storage drive.

Oh, is this a z68 caching configuration? If so, you need to ignore almost everything I've said and we'll start again.
m
0
l
Related resources
May 29, 2011 3:23:43 PM

adampower said:
I would not do anything with the hdd until you have a solid boot drive on the ssd. Is the ssd 120gb or better? That way you can always go back. But, eventually you will format the hdd and use it for raw storage. It's so nice to have a drive with no windows folder mess on it. This is the biggest drawback to z68 caching is that you still have the folder mess on your storage drive.

Oh, is this a z68 caching configuration? If so, you need to ignore almost everything I've said and we'll start again.


I'm not sure if its the z68 caching configuration. How can I tell?
I have a Corsair 115GB2-BRKT-A SSD and a WD cavier Blk 1TB for storage. It doesn't say what firmware version on the box.
Thanks for your help, this is the most direct answer I've gotten.
m
0
l
a c 415 G Storage
May 29, 2011 3:38:00 PM

^+1 to the others who recommend installing Windows without the HDD connected. If Windows sees a second drive, it will install its small boot partition onto that drive instead of onto the SSD, and most people prefer that it be on the SSD itself.

Other than that, there's nothing different about installing Windows to an SSD than there is to a hard drive, except that it's a lot faster!
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 3:49:34 PM

sminlal said:
^+1 to the others who recommend installing Windows without the HDD connected. If Windows sees a second drive, it will install its small boot partition onto that drive instead of onto the SSD, and most people prefer that it be on the SSD itself.

Other than that, there's nothing different about installing Windows to an SSD than there is to a hard drive, except that it's a lot faster!

I figured that just wanted to make sure. Why can't I find any clear instructions published about this? Should I install my Norton virus, COD, STEAM and MS home and student on the SSD or HDD.

Thanks for your help
m
0
l
a c 415 G Storage
May 29, 2011 4:56:00 PM

My recommendation is to install as much software as you can on the SSD. If you can't afford an SSD large enough to hold all of your software, then install the stuff you use the most on the SSD.

As far as the HDD, if it already has Windows on it then you'll probably want to format it once you've installed Windows on the SSD and then hooked the HDD up. Formatting is the best way to get rid of all the space used up by the old Windows installation. But of course you'll want to copy any files you need off of the drive before you do that.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b G Storage
May 29, 2011 6:19:45 PM

The z68 chipset is the latest 1155 based chipset. I asked if this was a z68 cache in case you were upgrading to sandybridge.

Of course why would you upgrade an i7 930?

Anyway, a corsair f120 (115 GiB) is a great drive. Perfect for a boot drive, office, a couple of games, etc. Steam reacts oddly and you might want to research loading steam games. It seems to me they can get rather large and I think Steam wants them all in the same directory??? Or they want to be on C drive or something odd like that. In that case you might one day be limited by space on the ssd if you are a big first person steam gamer. Maybe research steam loading on ssd via google or steam forums.

I don't know why the guides are not more clear about disconnecting the hdd. It is an important step for me and it's one of those things that is very difficult to undo once it's done.

The next most important step is the intel rst driver.

After that, page files, hybernation, other tweaks, are much more personal and have less overall effect.
Share
May 29, 2011 11:24:37 PM

adampower said:
The z68 chipset is the latest 1155 based chipset. I asked if this was a z68 cache in case you were upgrading to sandybridge.

Of course why would you upgrade an i7 930?

Anyway, a corsair f120 (115 GiB) is a great drive. Perfect for a boot drive, office, a couple of games, etc. Steam reacts oddly and you might want to research loading steam games. It seems to me they can get rather large and I think Steam wants them all in the same directory??? Or they want to be on C drive or something odd like that. In that case you might one day be limited by space on the ssd if you are a big first person steam gamer. Maybe research steam loading on ssd via google or steam forums.

I don't know why the guides are not more clear about disconnecting the hdd. It is an important step for me and it's one of those things that is very difficult to undo once it's done.

The next most important step is the intel rst driver.

After that, page files, hybernation, other tweaks, are much more personal and have less overall effect.


Very sound advise Adam, I thought I remembered reading that and thats what I did. Remove the HDD before install.
I'm now researching how to update the intel rst drivers as you suggested. My computer has an x58 Northbridge and an Intel ICH10R Southbridge.
I didn't know I needed to do that. I was more concerned about firmware update for the SSD from 1.0 t o 2.0 that I'm reading about.

I'm looking here " http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&...*&DownloadType=Drivers", for the appropriate files for my system. Is that correct?

I'm not a big gamer so the OS, virus software, GPU drivers and 3 games are all I will add to the SSD. Things like MS Home and Student, photos, songs and pics will all go to the HDD. I think this is the correct path. I have read and will fix the hibernation/restore point/disdefrag things shortly. I think I will wait a little bit before reformatting the HDD. Can I switch between the SSD/HDD without incident?

Again I want to thank you for you time. Your advise has be very helpful. When I'm done with you, you will get the best answer star. LOL
m
0
l
May 29, 2011 11:29:01 PM

One other thing. Is it better to download the exe or the zip drivers?
m
0
l
a b G Storage
May 30, 2011 1:24:38 AM

Not that link. This link.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=...

Or something like that. You want rapid storage technology (RST) for win7 (64bit?) version 10.1 the one that DOES NOT say F6 during install (as you have already installed) if you were going to give me a star you should rethink because I could have given you the advise to install during win loading. :) 

Sure you can boot from wherever for now. Once you're comfortable you can format the hdd.
m
0
l
May 31, 2011 12:45:26 AM

adampower said:
Not that link. This link.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=...

Or something like that. You want rapid storage technology (RST) for win7 (64bit?) version 10.1 the one that DOES NOT say F6 during install (as you have already installed) if you were going to give me a star you should rethink because I could have given you the advise to install during win loading. :) 

Sure you can boot from wherever for now. Once you're comfortable you can format the hdd.



Done. Thanks again. Ive installed the RST and verified the drivers in sys.devices. Additionally, I reduced the size allowed for restore points and disabled hibernate. I've been reading the articles about how to save space and improve performance and longevity. I see there are many other settings to tweek but I will move cautiously with further action.

Thanks again for your help. I hope you are a frequent visitor here and continue to support me. This is the first computer I built myself and I'm learning as I go. Have a great summer.
m
0
l
May 31, 2011 12:46:30 AM

Best answer selected by gerry410.
m
0
l
!