Cooler for Phenom II 955

jefforange89

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Hi, I've been looking around at CPU coolers since I'm looking to replace the stock one for my Phenom II 955, and I was wondering if someone could recommend me one or some to look at.

The one main problem I'm having is to find one that won't block two of the memory slots on my motherboard (MSI 790GX-G65), since, like on all 790GX motherboard it seems, they're rather close to the CPU socket.

And also, I've read that due to the way AMD's mounting bracket works, a lot of them only mount vertically, where as horizontally would be best, so that's something important as well.

Thanks in advance!

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
jeff,

Have you tried Xigmatek Dark Knight S1283? It's a little big but I think it should be able to fit vertically. I am looking to purchase this. I have the same board and using the stock cooler. Would love to know if there are coolers out there that fit :)

Zinosys

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
Check out frostytech.com. You might want to have a look at the list of AMD HSF's. Xigmatek makes some pretty nice Heatsinks, Scythe also has some pretty neat stuff that's budget friendly.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
Zinosys, yes I have already checked them out. However, this is a board-specific question. I believe jeff knows of good heatsinks. However, like what jeff said, the memory slots are close to the processor. If we were to place a large heatsink there, two slots would be wasted.

jefforange89

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I did actually look around at frostytech.com after posting this, and the one I'm most interested in is the Sunbeamtech Core-Contact, especially since it's dirt cheap on Newegg.ca right now (18$ off, and then a 15$ MIR leaving it at 20$ is pretty damn good!).

It looks like this one should meet all the specifications I had in mind, I think.