Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Hello,

I keep my PCs in my bedroom, in an old cob/thatch house. Therefore there's a lot of dust! I really need some way of protecting my new PCs from dust when they're not being used. My case already has dust covers built in over the two major fans, but there are gaps that haven't been covered.

The case is a BitFenix Colossus Window Full Tower case, which is pretty huge.

What can I use to protect the machine? Preferably, I'd want something that was clear/see-through, or at least looked ok in a White art deco room. I'm fearful of using any blankets or anything like that, because of static and/or dust getting through.

So what do you guys use/suggest?

Any and all help would be great :)

You are right about not using blankets.

Try developing a positive pressure inside the case. Of course, the air must be drawn from a relatively clean area so that you don't introduce dusty air inside the case.

The way to do this is to use a small blower (not fan), situate the blower in a clean spot, and then connect a flex tube from the blower to inside the case. A 20 CFM blower will work fine, and you can throttle it down by means of a speed control if desired.

Here is an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119145&cm_re=blower-_-35-119-145-_-Product

Use what is available in your local stores/area.

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Could someone expand on this?

As a bear of little brain I dont understand how this works, why it would be good or where it goes?

Thanks for your reply! :)

The air that you blow into the case must be clean air. Maybe from the next room.

As long as air is being blown inside, the case will have a positive air pressure, and outside air from around the case (which you say is dusty) cannot get in.

Nihilis

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
And I have this running all the time, even when the PC is/isn't in use? I attach it to the outside of the case?

The problem is most other rooms in the house are varyingly dusty. Drawing air from outside would lead to bugs flying in and having to navigate round all the fans (eugh) unless I perhaps put some kind of mesh over it, but that would stop the maximum air getting in.

Thanks for your reply :)

The blower should run only when the computer is running. You can connect it to the same power strip that is supplying power to the computer.

Place the blower in any area that is less dusty. Put it inside an old computer shipping carton with one side cut out to fasten a home heating furnace filter using duct tape.

If you need more details I shall be glad to provide you with them. If you request it, if you are located in the US or Canada, I can even call you and walk you through this.

What I have suggested and described is pretty standard, and not high tech. The principle is like a vacuum cleaner in reverse.

(I just checked "thatched/cob house" and I understand what it is. My suggestions still stand).

You have two problems:

1. Keeping dust off when machine is Off
2. Keeping dust out when machine is On

For number two, the question is .... is more air coming on thru your fans or being exhausted out thru your fans ? Ideally, more air is coming in thru your fans and all fan intakes are equipped with air filters. With more air coming in than out any excess air is forced out thru the grilles and other locations.

In a high air flow case with sufficient fans, these other openings (seams, grills, etc) can be sealed. Acoustic dampening material can be bought in sheets w/ adhesive backing which is ideal for this usage.

If you are afraid to block thes eoff or your case does not provide enough cooling, there are self adhesive sheets made just foir this purpose:

http://www.dustx.net/

If your fans are not equipped w/ dust filters, you can add them. here's an example

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8823/ffi-29/DEMCiflex_120mm_Magnetic_Fan_Dust_Filter_-_Black_-_Steel_Aluminum_Plastic_Chassis.html

For when computers are not in use, you can use "stop shield" breathable covers such as these here:

http://computerdust.com/products/cpu_covers.html

Thee are ones for monitors and KB's also.