1 SSD or 2 for Z68 Motherboard?

Hello,

I plan to purchase the Asus P8Z68V-Pro motherboard that allows for SSD caching of a harddrive. I am considering two alternatives:
1) Use 1 120GB Sata 3 SSD drive and create a 60GB partition for use with a 1.5TB harddrive and use the remaining space for my OS and games; or
2) Use 2 SSD drives, 1 60GB Sata 3 and 1 120GB Sata 3. The 60GB for caching and the 120GB for OS and gaming.
Which option do you think is best ignoring the fact that option 2 will give me more storage?
1 answer Last reply
More about motherboard
  1. (1) Would not partition the boot SSD.
    (2) My recomendation - the 120 Gig SSD for boot and the 60 Gig SSD I would use as a scratch disk - YOU select what you want on the drive vs the "Cache" tring to quess.

A good discussion of this, starts toward the bootom of first page:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tomshardwareus.inc&cat=32&post=269321&page=1&p=1&sondage=0&owntopic=1&trash=0&trash_post=0&print=0&numreponse=0&quote_only=0&new=0&nojs=0
    My comment
    Decided to re-read the article.
    Quote from PCSTATS
    “Incidentally, if you have more than one hard drive installed on your computer system, say for example with programs installed to the secondary non-OS drive, applying Intel SRT to accelerate the non-boot volume will have little impact according to PCSTATS' tests.”
    One thing that is missing – Any supportive data, and how the conclusion was reached - or did I miss that. I have a feeling that it may well be highly user dependent.
    First off a quote from Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4337 [...] orce-ssd/5
    “On the first run both the Corsair F40 and Intel SSD 311 manage to perform very similarly. On the second run however, many of the applications load slower on the SSD 311 as some data has apparently been evicted from the cache”
    Again this is using a SSD (Cache +HDD) with the operating system loaded on the HDD. The F40 (40 Gig was about 12% faster in this test after multiply passes?? What about a 64 gig SATA 2 SF1200 SSD (about $100 -> $120).
    ..(1) A 120 Gig Sata II (for Operating system + programs) plus a 1 Tb HDD for storage. SSD - $180->$200, HDD - $80->100. Total – approx 300, Go for a SATA III adds about $100 (agility 3 currently on sale for $240 would only add $40.
    ..(2) A 64 gig Sata 2 SF1200 SSD (Cache) and a 1 TB HDD approx $200. Option 1 best choice unless the you just cannot go the added $100

The real question that begs an answer: You have a system that has a SSD boot drive and a 1 -> 3 Tb HDD.
    ..(1) Do you add a SSD to cache the HDD? The statement from PCSTATS indicates – NOT. I think this would be true for a user that was very repetitive in what was opened. But for someone who performed a large mix of operations it may be a viable option. This is the reason that I now think the 64 Gig caches SSD would be a better choice than the Intel 311. The Intel 311 with only 20 gigs, remember a portion of that will always be the operating system and programs in the stat menu means that what is in the cache is quite possibly going to be in flux – and what is not in cache will be at speed of HDD = reason I think (strictly opinion) the 64 gig would be a better choice.
    ..(2) The other Option (remember this is based on system with a boot SSD and a storage HDD) is spend an extra $100 and just buy a 2nd 120 Gig SSD for a storage drive. You get to select what is on the drive, ie most often played games w/ their table and map, or in my case all my word docs, spreads sheet, and small files that I tend to use often. BUT adds $100 to above option.

This is the config of my I5-750 (does not support SRT). I20 Gig Boot SSD + 80 Gig Intel G2 + 1 Tb HDD. I will go this route on my I5-2500k – Up and running, but not final config – still need a gpu. Also I screwed-up (I know what’s new). Wanted the 120 Gig Agility 3, accidently order 2 and did not catch till the next day, so now have a spare agility 3. May use in a new SB laptop, but I think the SB laptops use Sata 2 for their HDD controller.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives SSD Motherboards SATA Storage