Sign in with
Your question

Need help with i5-2300 overclock.. (beginner)

Tags:
  • Intel
  • Overclocking
  • Intel i5
Last response: in Overclocking
October 10, 2011 4:36:54 AM

Thanks ahead of time for any help that can be provided...

I have a dell xps8300

GRAPHICS: EVGA GTX570
PS: Extreme Power Supply Plus 700w (guessing i might need to upgrade to better quality?)

all other info is listed in link above....

I am trying to get a basic idea or just help with how to OC my i5-2300?
i am not a complete beginner but def far from advanced so i really appreciate any insight that can be given as to where to begin and what needs to be done....

Thanks again,
Kevin

More about : 2300 overclock beginner

a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2011 5:15:03 AM

well lets start with, i would highly suggest getting an aftermarket cooler, if you have the extra money for it the best choice would be water/liquid...
you dont need a better psu for o/c'ing...
i personaly know 2 routes you can take

turbo boost, intels own overclocking utility, dont ask me how to use it... im sure google can help you there

#2 would be overclocking via BIOS, unfortunately i cant tell you if yours is unlocked because bestbuy isnt showing an exact model to track down, but... go into bios settings when its going thru POST (usually showing a pic of your manufacturer now) and look for somthing such as "Frequency control" if its greyed out, then its locked and i cant help you there
m
l
October 10, 2011 9:29:17 PM

i appreciate your help... I am becoming more educated on the topic but its a slow process for me being that i work alot... might be a completely idiotic question but how do i get to my bios settings?
i am going to look right now for the intel boosting tool, but ive seen post online reguarding my exact processor (i5-2300) saying its a k series but opposite popular belief it can be OC'd...
if you have anything that will help me in the right direction i appreciate it!!
thanks again,
kevin
m
l
Related resources
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
October 11, 2011 6:15:50 AM

Anyone knowledgeable will know you don't need a k series to overclock but the problem is the non-k is locked. Specifically, the i5 2300 is locked to a max of x35 multiplier or 3.5ghz, maybe 3.7 with changing blck (not recommended) but that should only be with 1 core active since technically your changing the turbo (3.1ghz or 3.4ghz max on all 4). Changing the multiplier is all you need to do to overclock this low. The stock cooler will actually handle these speeds fine as it handles the 2500 at these speeds. WC is unnecessary, a cheap $30 air cooler can get a 2500k to 4.7ghz.

When you turn on the pc it usually says what button is to go to bios, it's f2 or f10 but I already googled, your bios is locked.
m
l
a b å Intel
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 11, 2011 6:49:17 AM

k1114 said:
Anyone knowledgeable will know you don't need a k series to overclock but the problem is the non-k is locked. Specifically, the i5 2300 is locked to a max of x35 multiplier or 3.5ghz, maybe 3.7

It's worse than that. The non K SB CPU's use a unified clock. Outside of Turbo Boost, the only way to overclock one is to increase the PCI frequency and more than 2 or 3 MHz, maybe 5 MHz max, risks corrupting hard drive data because of out of spec SATA drive interface.
m
l
a b å Intel
a b K Overclocking
October 11, 2011 4:26:49 PM

I'm not sure why you said it's worse than that, you can change the multiplier and I did mention the "overclock" is still using turbo but imo it's still an OC since it is higher than stock speeds (without messing with the bclk).
m
l
a c 154 å Intel
a c 164 K Overclocking
October 11, 2011 4:38:36 PM

Best way is to upgrade to a I5 2500K! In general with out the "K" very difficult and hardly worth the effort.
m
l
!