ESATA Expansion Card for 2TB External Drive

00pontiac

Distinguished
May 29, 2011
I'm trying to find an ESATA Expansion Card for a LaCie Quadra 2TB External Drive (model 301882U)... and I have a PCI Express 1x Slot I want to utilize. I've been looking at cards and specs for over an hour now and I can find no definitive answers... SATA 1.0 / 2.0 / 3.0... I'm just becoming more and more confused. I just want to make sure that the card I buy will support the 2TB Capacity of my HD and have the fastest transfer speeds possible. I'm using Vista if that makes a difference.

And thanks very much!

Solution
Hi there,

Your LaCie Quadra is a SATA II HDD (3Gb/s).

I would purchase however a SATA III (6gb/s) expansion card so it is compatable with the faster speed, should you every upgrade to a SATA III HDD or add another external SATA drive. It is backward compatable.

There are a bunch of SATA III PCI-2 x1 cards with additional connectors (IDE, internal SATA etc) but a simple SATA III PCI-e x1 expansion card with 2 eSATA connectors is the SYBA SY-PEX40033 PCI-Express 2.0 X1 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card. can't go wrong. On Amazon for $29.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Your LaCie Quadra is a SATA II HDD (3Gb/s).

I would purchase however a SATA III (6gb/s) expansion card so it is compatable with the faster speed, should you every upgrade to a SATA III HDD or add another external SATA drive. It is backward compatable.

There are a bunch of SATA III PCI-2 x1 cards with additional connectors (IDE, internal SATA etc) but a simple SATA III PCI-e x1 expansion card with 2 eSATA connectors is the SYBA SY-PEX40033 PCI-Express 2.0 X1 SATA III (6.0Gb/s) Controller Card. can't go wrong. On Amazon for $29.

Solution