How do i recover my directory

bobboles

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I cannot see a directory of file any more. In cmd.exe I can cd to known directories, but there are no files listed. How do I restore my directory list?

Solution

Thanks for the info, and no reason to be embarassed - Happens to people all the time. And when you get your problem resolved, change your antivirus to something more efficient ! Even the Free versions of something like AVAST or AVG are better (IMO).
Now to the problem - The files in question could have been hidden by the virus. Can use DOS attrib...

They are missing in explorer also ?
Any HW or SW changes recently ?
How about some specifics - Are these user directorys ?

bobboles

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012

I guess I was too embarrased to mention that this was most likely caused by a virus. I ran my virus checker immediately after I suspected something was wrong - but Mcaffe failed me!

I can change to directories (names I remember) using \cd, but it does not show any files or other folders, I can see the directories in a DOS window, but not the files. They are missing in explorer.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, and no reason to be embarassed - Happens to people all the time. And when you get your problem resolved, change your antivirus to something more efficient ! Even the Free versions of something like AVAST or AVG are better (IMO).
Now to the problem - The files in question could have been hidden by the virus. Can use DOS attrib command to unhide.
Unhide files.
Enter this from a command prompt
assuming "g" is your pen drive letter

attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.*

Go to explorer to see your files

You can change the g:\*.* to c:\folder name\*.* to go to a specific folder only, which you may want to try first.

Solution