What do you think is the toughest Processor?

nna2

Distinguished
just wanted to ask the community because i remember overclocking my old p4 prescott 2.5GHz with the stock cooler up to the 3.04GHz which i could acheive and i maxed around 50-60C lol

Solution
The i5 2500k is about as easy to overclock as any and runs pretty cool at overclocked speeds. I tend to hit thermal walls sooner with Phenom chips, although they do have a slight amount more flexibility when it comes to memory voltages.

i5 + 1.5 volt memory will pretty much eat anything for breakfast up to the thousand dollar chip mark.

The comment about the i5 "destroying" the Phenom is somewhat dramatic, but the truth is somewhere in the middle. In my personal experience the Phenom II chips are more geared to compete with the older Core 2 series and do well in that regard. Generally they need 400 - 700 MHZ more to achieve parity with SB. A 3.0 GHZ i5 for example, might have the same performance as a 3.5 GHZ Phenom II.

The price...
Basicly it is the top of the line chips the AMD PII 1090 and 1100 6 core oc on high end air to 4.2 which is nice but gets destroyed by intelels 2500 and 2600k chips that people are running at 5ghz to 5.5 on high end air so there is your answer.

Thently

nagol567

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
ok gets destroyed is a little over-dramatic. besides you can get a 955 black edition for $120USD and overclock it to 4 easy. while the 2500k is $210 the advantages are not worth $100 more i say. especially when you can get a better GPU with the money.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

barely any can oc to 5.5 let alone on air. 5ghz is barely achievable on air.

tajisi

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
The i5 2500k is about as easy to overclock as any and runs pretty cool at overclocked speeds. I tend to hit thermal walls sooner with Phenom chips, although they do have a slight amount more flexibility when it comes to memory voltages.

i5 + 1.5 volt memory will pretty much eat anything for breakfast up to the thousand dollar chip mark.

The comment about the i5 "destroying" the Phenom is somewhat dramatic, but the truth is somewhere in the middle. In my personal experience the Phenom II chips are more geared to compete with the older Core 2 series and do well in that regard. Generally they need 400 - 700 MHZ more to achieve parity with SB. A 3.0 GHZ i5 for example, might have the same performance as a 3.5 GHZ Phenom II.

The price difference is -not- as great as some people might claim, though. On Newegg, comparing an 1100T and the i5 2500K, factoring in motherboards with similar features... roughly $45 total gap for more overclocking headroom and better performance. YMMV depending on part selection, but the platform cost differences often get grossly overstated.

Solution