Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What do you think about Intel boards?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 4, 2010 2:29:50 PM

hey guys how are you?

tell me what do you think about Intel motherboards? do you think people need to pay a bit more to get other coampanys or not?

More about : intel boards

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 4:23:24 PM

My personal opinion is that Intel boards suck. There's nothing wrong with them if you're building a vanilla system made up of all standard-issue parts, but if you want to get into higher-performance gaming systems, some of them start to give you issues. I had one that was advertised as an "extreme" board, but when I tried to put in some decent memory, it wouldn't let me adjust the voltage to the right settings -- if I set it to anything other than the default 1.5V, it would simply refuse to power on. I talked to Intel and they said that's just how the board was -- even though it's supposedly "extreme," don't try to use anything other than 1.5V memory or adjust any settings yourself. Last time I buy a POS board from them.
February 4, 2010 4:32:53 PM

no intel boards do not suck

they are a great reliable product if your not overclocking..

Enthusiast boards tend to go for Asus and Gigabyte then MSI...

Personally, Intel boards just run and run.. Unfortunately there a bit harder to come by over here due to the amount Intel wants its Disties to buy.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 6:28:08 PM

Hellboy said:
no intel boards do not suck

they are a great reliable product if your not overclocking..

Enthusiast boards tend to go for Asus and Gigabyte then MSI...

Well, yeah, which is why I think Intel boards suck.

Reliable? Sure. Flexibility? Almost zero.

They also tend to have a pretty liberal definition of what constitutes "overclocking." Personally, I do not think something as mundane as adjusting the BIOS settings to get a stick of 1.65V DDR3 to work at stock settings falls into the "enthusiast" category. And it's certainly not something that ought to trigger a full system failure that's irreversibly hard-wired into the board. More like, it's something that ought to be a bare minimum requirement for any motherboard, period, and the fact that they don't support something so basic is more like building a flawed motherboard. To market something like that as "extreme" is just the icing on the cake.

Basically, I would avoid Intel at all costs unless you're building a stock-setting computer for work. Otherwise, you're just setting yourself up for buying another motherboard because of some unpleasant surprise that comes completely out of the blue.
m
l
February 4, 2010 6:36:25 PM

whats the poinbt of giving motherboards with overclocking facilities to a newb.

Intel are there at stock ratings for a reason.. for people who just want to run a machine as it should and not as it could..

Trust me as a dealer, manufacturer if you like would far prefer someone with a stock rated processor than have someone "overclock it " and burn out the processor if they didnt know what they were doing.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 6:47:40 PM

Personally I think they suck, unless you are building a system that will stay stock till it dies....
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 8:06:54 PM

Hellboy said:
whats the poinbt of giving motherboards with overclocking facilities to a newb.

Intel are there at stock ratings for a reason.. for people who just want to run a machine as it should and not as it could..

Trust me as a dealer, manufacturer if you like would far prefer someone with a stock rated processor than have someone "overclock it " and burn out the processor if they didnt know what they were doing.

Sure, but then why are you even selling these boards on the open market to people who are building their own machines?

Honestly, I ran into this problem building what I thought was a pretty tame machine. No overclocking, no crossfiring, no crazy specs unless you count 1.65V RAM as "crazy." Just had a plain quad-core machine in mind and happened to get a good deal on an Intel board, and figured it would probably be OK. Nope.

I don't see that as Intel disabling "advanced" features for the newbs' own good. I call that building a board that's got compatibility problems and is difficult to work with. Put them in Dells or whatever, I don't care, but the rest might as well just go in the trash as far as I'm concerned.
m
l
February 4, 2010 9:54:32 PM

sorry - wrote it on other post
m
l
February 4, 2010 9:57:10 PM

m
l
a c 214 V Motherboard
a b å Intel
February 4, 2010 10:14:41 PM

Intel boards are like Dad's car .... get you to work every day, but don't expect them to turn any heads on features or performance.
m
l
February 4, 2010 10:39:54 PM

m
l
February 4, 2010 10:40:15 PM

m
l
February 4, 2010 10:52:37 PM

Best answer selected by amiel.