2nd SATA drive NOT found

zareh

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Am installing 120Gb IDE(with a IDE to SATA converter) HHD to a SATA mother board, and the system is not recognizing the unit
I have a DELL Dimension 9100.
Any suggestions.
Thanks.

Have you partitioned and formatted the drive? Without that the drive will not be assigned a drive letter and it won't show up in Windows Explorer.

Click "Start" --> right-click "Computer" and select "Manage".

Click "Disk Management" in the left pane.

Scroll down to the BOTTOM of the MIDDLE pane.

You should see your new disk there with a label such as "Disk 1" or "Disk 2", etc. Right-click on the label in order to create a new volume (which partitions the drive) and then again to format it.

Once it's formatted Windows will assign the next available drive letter to it and then it will appear in Windows Explorer.

zareh

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

The HDD is formated and has data only, I have done all the steps you outlined, but does not show up any where ( I have turned the SATA1 bay ON, in the BIOS )
thanks.

zareh

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010

Yes it does require it's own power, and both the HDD and the converter are powered.
I have also changed the jumper to cable settings.
thanks.

Is there any chance that you've plugged it into a SATA port whose controller is disabled or doesn't have a driver loaded? A lot of motherboards have SATA ports connected to the Intel chipset as well as to a separate Marvell controller, and often the second controller is disabled.