Sign in with
Your question

Long repeating beeps... motherboard/cpu issue?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 4, 2010 2:42:06 PM

Hello

I have a computer which is currently not overclocked that has been acting up lately. I was recently using it when suddenly the computer froze ... CTRL-ALT-DEL would not work, no BSOD, nothing like that... just froze. I reset my computer. The computer would not boot up at all so i couldn't get into the BIOS. It just started making these long beeping noises, with each beep lasting about 3 seconds, stopping, then repeating.

I turned off the computer and let it sit for a few minutes. It would then boot and go into the BIOS. I reset everything back to factory settings. Rebooted, goes into windows, works for a while... Then freezes again.

My computer's components are about 7 years old. I figure it might just be a dying motherboard or CPU.

Thanks.
Andrew
a c 435 V Motherboard
February 4, 2010 7:37:36 PM

Could be the ram or the power supply. I would check craigslist for used pc parts. Good branded ps are antec, corsair, pc power and cooling, seasonic, enermax, or ocz. I would choose one of these brands with lower wattage than some lightweight no name brand rated higher.
!