Need Help w/ Budget Win7 Media Center HTPC

shawnharper

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Today!!! (want to use the newegg 10% Bing cashback)

BUDGET RANGE: $350 (I have some components already)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Windows Media Center use (OTA HDTV record/play), playback of HD Video (720P and 1080p) ripped to hard drive, uTorrent Box, upgrade to add a Blu-ray R/W drive down the road

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Hard Drive, DVD drive, TV Tuner (have a WinTV HVR-1600 but need IR receiver), Monitor (will use existing 720p projector)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD processor, preferably lower power (65W or less), trying to decide between an Antek NSK2480 HTPC case or a standard mid-tower (need WAF input) Perhaps this one? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811121027

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe?? SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Don't really know what this is - should I care for my intended use?

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 720p, but may upgrade to 1080p projector next year

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Intend to use Win7 64-bit version. Want to preserve upgradeability. Would like to use onboard video and graphics. Guessing I'll want 4GB of RAM - not sure if DDR2 or DDR3 is most appropriate. Power consumption is semi-important to me

Thanks!!!

shawnharper

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks you guys. Ended up with the Combos suggested (incl 1333) plus a NSX 4480 black case.

Any recommendations for IR control? I just realized that I have no provisions for that? Preferably something that works in conjunction with the Win TV HVR 1600 card I have?

You can purchase any generic MCE with a bundled external USB IR receiver for about $30.

If your budget allows, since the NSK2480 has an extra 5.25" bay you can get something like this for about $70:

SilverStone MFP51
41ZHqG82OOL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

There are a number of other 5.25" VFD/LCD panels that come bundled with remotes if you shop around.

shawnharper

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Thanks RW. While I like the "ooh" look, I'll be sitting ~15' away, and won't have much use for it. My current HP z555 has one, and it's more annoyance than useful.

One of those things that sounds like a good idea in theory...

@ daship:

What program interface are you using to get the menus that are showing in your video? That's probably the smoothest interface I've seen to date.

Is it interfaced to work with Cyberlink power DVD 9.1 or does it have its own dvd player program?

Nice setup. I have a projector, not 1080P yet but is going in the basement to project on a 10' fixed screen. I can't wait to get it set up and the interface like yours would put it over the top.

I'm currently changing my hardware due to my gigabyte motherboard going bad so now's the perfect time to redo everything, lol.

shawnharper

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
Since I need TV recording functionality, that leaves Mediaportal out in the cold.

Received my parts from Newegg just now - guess I'll be system building tonight!