Sign in with
Your question

Some help with my OC (9850 BE)

Last response: in Overclocking
October 10, 2011 2:05:27 PM

Alright guys, I'm stuck in a bit of a pickle here and I really hope I'm not repeating a common problem as I know how frustrating it can be to hear the same thing over and over. Anyway, I've read through several guides (and some beautifully written ones) on Overclocking in the past and have usually been successful. However this changed when I got my Phenom X4 9850 BE.

To cut a long story short I have tried several things and I can't seem to get past my current OC of 2.73. I achieved this by pushing the FSB to 210 and the CPU multi to 13x, nothing too strenuous I wouldn't say. However as many folk here would be, I'm not happy with the 2.7 and want to at least get to 3.0/3.2 and then looking to push it even further (if possible) once I invest in a nice cooling system.

A couple of things I have noticed while OC-ing is that when I updated my BIOS my overclock of 2.9 became unstable. Where as before it worked without flaws, but even then wouldn't allow that push to 3.0. Another is that say for example I change my FSB to its stock setting, and just increase the multiplier to say 14x it will still crash/hang. Which I guess would lead some to believe CPU temp would be an issue, however it is not. I am only on air cooling but do have an aftermarket heatsink and several fans creating a nice airflow with a mild idle temp of mid 30's and a high load of high 40's. I also thought maybe my RAM would be an issue but then surely adjusting the multi only shouldn't affect the rest of the hardware or so I've been lead to believe.

My setup is as follows:

CPU: AMD PHENOM X4 9850 BE
MOBO: M3A32-MVP DELUXE
GPU: RADEON HD 5850
RAM: OCZ GOLD PC2-6400

My current OC settings are:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/542/cpuzimage.jpg/

Another couple of questions:

A) What's the best Bios to use for my Mobo? (currently running the most up to date)

B) Would upgrading my RAM be of any real benefit/gain especially for overclocking? If not what would you recommend updating?

My apologies for any details missed out! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards.

More about : 9850

a b K Overclocking
October 10, 2011 3:01:20 PM

i dont think the problem is the new bios. it may have added a feature where the multiplier and voltage lowers when its not under load( makes my system hang) or maybe some (better) auto timing AI. what i would do is set your memory timings to what the factory recomends and lower the multiplier to the memory so that your memory is not making you crash. also set your pcie speed to 100. then i would drop your HT/NB multiplier by one and then begin to overclock. i would raise your voltage for your cpu to about 1.4 (+.1V) and try to raise the multiplier for the cpu again. if it works then try raising it again and so on.
a c 292 K Overclocking
October 10, 2011 3:32:00 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's forum.

1- What cooler do you have?
2- You need yourself find out the best BIOS for your mobo, not all the components overclock the same
3- The "problem" is your CPU, the 1st Phenom generation won't overclock very well.
4- Why are you using the reference clock? If you CPU is BE just rise multiplier and add voltage in little steps.
!