Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to change boot drives and how to clean SSD

Last response: in Storage
May 30, 2011 5:11:02 AM

Hey so i built my first computer about a year ago and decided back then to put a SSD (intel 40GB) in there as a boot drive. However, this SSD keeps getting used up by i dont know what and i'm down to 5gbs of space left in it. Instead of having to constantly maintain it, i was thinking about just getting rid of it and making my 1tb storage drive the boot drive as well as the only drive in the computer. However, i'm very unsure on how to do this. How do i move my OS (windows 7 64bit) and other things on the SSD to my storage drive? But, just so i make sure i won't regret this, do any of you guys have solutions to cleaning my SSD and keeping it clean of everything but my OS. I remember back when i first starting using it, it had about 19gbs of space but now it's down to 5. The biggest problem i always have is when i upload footage for a video project, it seems to take space in both the SSD and my storage drive? I'm just really unsure about all this...so any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Best solution

a c 120 G Storage
June 1, 2011 2:04:50 PM

SSDs do not require maintenance! Do not defrag an SSD. In fact, defrag is bad for SSDs and will eventually reduce its life.

As you know, SSDs consist of billions of cells. Writing and Reading to these cell do eventually wear out these cells. Fortunately, SSDs have 'wear levelers' so that data does not get written to the same cells. But eventually, these cells wear out.

Now, coming to the transfer of the OS. A good way to do this is by 'cloning'.

Take a look at these 2 products. Either one will work for you.
http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=reg&id=...
http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&...

I have used both of the above products (laptop, desktop) and they both work very well.
Related resources
June 22, 2011 5:06:48 PM

If i'm going to clone, will acronis be a good option too? And how will this all work as there are program and user folders on both hard drives?
m
l
a c 120 G Storage
June 22, 2011 8:47:06 PM

Yes, Acronis will also work to clone a disk. Please understand that cloning works on an entire drive, and at the end of cloning, you will get an exact copy (clone) of that drive.

What I suggest is that you have the OS on the SSD. If the SSD is large enough, then install some programs also on the SSD. If not, have a separate drive for the programs and data. You cal always add drives, or install larger drives for data.
m
l
June 22, 2011 9:07:01 PM

having the OS on the ssd was my original plan but the SSD keeps on filling up even if i download programs to my other hard drive. Is there a way to control this? And a question about cloning. so i can clone my SSD but does that mean i have to delete all the data on my other drive in order to put my OS onto it or can i simply keep all my programs and files on that drive and add all the OS/programs/files from my SSD to that hard drive?
m
l
a c 120 G Storage
June 22, 2011 9:48:12 PM

dakallday said:
having the OS on the ssd was my original plan but the SSD keeps on filling up even if i download programs to my other hard drive. Is there a way to control this? And a question about cloning. so i can clone my SSD but does that mean i have to delete all the data on my other drive in order to put my OS onto it or can i simply keep all my programs and files on that drive and add all the OS/programs/files from my SSD to that hard drive?

Let's look at the entire picture and options.

Win 7 takes up about 16 GBs. To this you must add space for future updates, service packs, and System Restore. Over time, SSDs degrade by worn-out cells and the overall capacity will decline. Therefore, I suggest that you have nothing more than Win 7 on this 40 GB SSD. (Another option is to get a much larger capacity SSD for Win 7 and all the programs like word processing, games, etc.).

All other programs can be installed on a separate drive (250 GB?)

Have another separate drive for all your data files, music, photos, videos. 1 TB?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
OR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I have both these HDDs in use for almost 2 years and they are good drives.

It is a good idea to re-install your programs on the new drive. This will be a much cleaner approach.
m
l
June 23, 2011 11:41:03 PM

I currently have two drives in my system. A 40gb SSD and a 1TB hard drive. I'm pretty set on making the hard drive my one and only storage disk in my computer since the SSD is a bit difficult to maintain. However, my OS is on the SSD as well as a few programs and most of photos,programs, and music are on my hard drive. Is there a way i can merge these two together without any problems or losing files? If anything, i'm willing to completely restore and wipe out everything but how do i get the OS onto my hard drive and avoid having to re-purchase windows 7?
m
l
a c 120 G Storage
June 24, 2011 12:23:18 AM

Save all your files on the 1 TB drive to an external drive (you need an external drive for your backups anyway; this is not optional).

Then clone the SSD on to the 1 TB drive. This will wipe out all the files that were on the 1 TB drive. After cloning the SSD onto the 1 TB drive, copy all the files back to the 1 TB drive.

Remember to backup your computer onto an external drive regularly.
m
l
June 25, 2011 7:52:48 AM

Alright, so if i copy all my backed up files back onto a newly cloned hard drive, wouldn't i have two program folders, user folders etc. on the same drive?
m
l
a c 120 G Storage
June 25, 2011 1:39:16 PM

dakallday said:
Alright, so if i copy all my backed up files back onto a newly cloned hard drive, wouldn't i have two program folders, user folders etc. on the same drive?

No, you should not have the OS on two different drives.

After you clone the SSD on to the 1 TB drive as suggested earlier, remove the SSD from the system and replace the 1 TB drive as your OS drive. At this point, the SSD with the OS on it is not connected to the system. Startup the computer.

Now connect the SSD to the computer as an external drive (do not hot swap). To do this you will need something like: http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&... (or an external enclosure if you have one that accepts the SSD will also work)

Then format the SSD. This will delete all data including the OS from the SSD. From here on, you will be using the 1 TB drive containing the OS, for booting, per your choice.

Another option (which I am not recommending) is to save the SSD as a backup of the OS.
m
l
June 26, 2011 2:23:56 AM

What i meant was if i cloned the SSD onto my 1TB hard drive and placed all my backuped files/programs back onto the hard drive, wouldn't i have two of the same folders on the same drive? (Ex. itunes folders, music folders, program folders, user folders, etc.) I'm just wondering because alot of the folders for my programs are both on my SSD and my 1 TB hard drive.
m
l
a c 120 G Storage
June 26, 2011 2:38:58 AM

dakallday said:
What i meant was if i cloned the SSD onto my 1TB hard drive and placed all my backuped files/programs back onto the hard drive, wouldn't i have two of the same folders on the same drive? (Ex. itunes folders, music folders, program folders, user folders, etc.) I'm just wondering because alot of the folders for my programs are both on my SSD and my 1 TB hard drive.

Duplicate files will get overwritten and replaced. This happens every time we transfer the contents of one drive to another; some of the files will be duplicates and will get replaced.
m
l
June 26, 2011 2:58:45 AM

Alright, thank you for all your help. I'll give this a go tonight and let you know the results
m
l
a c 120 G Storage
June 26, 2011 3:22:50 AM

Sure, no problem.
m
l
June 27, 2011 1:20:36 AM

So, now everything is on one drive. However, there are no icons on my desktop and everytime i try to open an application it says,

"The drive or network connection that the shortcut 'Mozilla Firefox.Ink' refers to is unavailable. Make sure that the disk is properly inserted or the network resource is available, and then try again"

Also, a window commonly pops up saying,

" E:\users\Ed\Desktop refers to a location that is unavailable. It could be on a hard drive on this computer, or on a network. Check to make your that the disk is properly inseted, or that you are connected to the Internet or your network, and then try again. If it still connot be located, the infomation might have been moved to a different location."

Would it be better to attempt to fix this or to just do a complete system recovery?
P.S. My 1TB drive use to have the letter E
m
l
a c 120 G Storage
June 27, 2011 2:07:20 AM

Restart the computer with only the 1 TB drive which will now have the OS and will become the C: drive.
m
l
June 27, 2011 5:14:46 AM

I did. Still, my desktop is blank and all of my downloaded applications on my that were on my E drive dont seem to work. I also tried to save a screenshot on paint to show you but a window popped up saying

"E:\Users\Ed\Desktop\Untitled.png
Path does not exist.
Check the path and try again."

At this point, i feel like my best option is simply to just restore the computer as if it was brand new. However, i'm not sure on how to do this.
m
l
June 27, 2011 8:01:08 AM

Nevermind. I just re-installed windows. Thanks for everything.
m
l
June 27, 2011 8:01:27 AM

Best answer selected by dakallday.
m
l
a c 120 G Storage
June 27, 2011 5:01:46 PM

Thank you!
m
l
!