Can't set or select background images

erdreik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Recently recovering from trojan and or other virus' when iright click on my desktop and go into desktop settings to set my background, all the images there are greyed out, and when i set them from other sites, they only show up when i go to shut down, for a fraction of a second. Any ideas what i can do to repair the problems? thanks in advance

Going to have to be alot more specific. What operating system are you using? If its windows include a note about which service pack it is. Do you know what trojan/virus you are recovering from? How do you know you got rid of it?

erdreik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Well obviously i dont know i fully was rid of it, however, windows xp home, SP 3, Dl'd and installed the Run of Spybot S & D onto a disk, including all updated files. as well as AVG 8.5 free. As far as i can recall, Zlobb and Drop loader, various other Downloaders, and a ton of Malware. its a friends PC who gave up and gave it to me. 2.2 ghz 2gb ram 160gb hd - thus far any other scans via my own scans, and or other scans at PcPitstop.com and other places, all seem normal.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Some viruses do edit the registry. Even though you've managed to remove it, the changes to the registry cannot be rolled back. I have encountered such viruses and I have to clean up/reconfigure the registry manually to fix some problems.

I suggest back-up your critical data and do a hdd reformat and a clean reinstallation of your OS. Be sure to have the necessary drivers for the system first before doing that.

erdreik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
I don't have the options to Format lol. Any idea what registry i shoudl be looking for, and or information on editing registry? Don't have a windows home disk, only pro and i hate pro! Any ideas / information would be greatly appreciated!

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
I don't recommend tampering the registry without sufficient knowledge as it contains critical OS configurations. I would still stick to my previous suggestion.

TRENDING THREADS