Sign in with
Your question

Best CPU Cooler

Last response: in Overclocking
October 10, 2011 3:18:41 PM

Hi EveryOne,

I'm thinking to buy a new CPU cooler and I'm stuck between these coolers:

Noctua NH-D14(doesn't the MOBO get damaged due to its weight ?? 1.2KG)

CM V6GT

OR wait for:

CM HYper EVO??(Not launched in my country till date)....and other cooler brands like Zalman etc are unavailable in my country....Suggest a Cooler from the above.....btw my case is CM 690II Advanced

More about : cpu cooler

October 10, 2011 4:47:05 PM

What Noctua has in performance it has in weight. It can indeed break your motherboard if not installed properly, but it's not usually an issue.

The Noctua kicks the CM V6GT in the ass, so for extreme air cooling it's the one to get. Problem is, it can kill some RAM slots if you use sticks with tall heatsinks. What RAM is you using?

The Hyper Evo seems to be a great launch, but I don't think you should wait. If you want hardcore cooling no matter the space, get the Noctua. For more moderate cooling but more room for your computer, get the V6.
m
l
a c 161 à CPUs
a c 295 K Overclocking
October 10, 2011 4:50:59 PM

Your question is wide open.

1- Best for money?
2- Best for performance?
3- Best for price performance?
4- Best AIR cooler?
5- Best LIQUID cooler?
6- What mobo and RAM?

I'm waiting for the Hyper 212 Evo for test it and see performance, you can wait a little to check that.

From those two coolers, I'd go with the NH-D14 or if you want something similar the Thermalright Silver Arrow or Thermalright Archon are very good too.
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2011 5:57:30 AM

saint19 said:
Your question is wide open.

1- Best for money?
2- Best for performance?
3- Best for price performance?
4- Best AIR cooler?
5- Best LIQUID cooler?
6- What mobo and RAM?

I'm waiting for the Hyper 212 Evo for test it and see performance, you can wait a little to check that.

From those two coolers, I'd go with the NH-D14 or if you want something similar the Thermalright Silver Arrow or Thermalright Archon are very good too.

Of course....I want the best air cooler available right now(money doesn't matter but availability does matter)....my mobo is X58A-UD3R and RAM is G.Skill ripjaws......as I've mentioned earlier Thermalright or other company products are not available here.....
m
l
October 11, 2011 6:00:24 AM

mrmaia said:
What Noctua has in performance it has in weight. It can indeed break your motherboard if not installed properly, but it's not usually an issue.

The Noctua kicks the CM V6GT in the ass, so for extreme air cooling it's the one to get. Problem is, it can kill some RAM slots if you use sticks with tall heatsinks. What RAM is you using?

The Hyper Evo seems to be a great launch, but I don't think you should wait. If you want hardcore cooling no matter the space, get the Noctua. For more moderate cooling but more room for your computer, get the V6.

I hope noctua fits in my case....
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 11, 2011 6:02:58 AM

where do you live? noctua dh-14 is xellent cooler for extreme overclockers.V6 gt is also one of the best coolers.if you are going overclock 5ghz+ than dh-14,otherwise v6 can easily handle anything below 5ghz maintaining good temps.evo is really great
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
October 11, 2011 6:12:56 AM

The larger and heavier Intel coolers mount with a support plate that goes under the motherboard to help support the weight of the cooler.

The downside to that is, if you do not have a cutout in the motherboard tray below the CPU socket, you need to remove the motherboard before you mount the cooler.
m
l
October 11, 2011 6:18:45 AM

The corsair hydro H100 is the best cooler available right now that doesn't require a custom setup. It is a prebuilt closed-loop water cooler.

I have a noctua NH-D14 and it is flawless so I recommend that for air coolers.
m
l
October 11, 2011 9:59:21 AM

hellfire24 said:
where do you live? noctua dh-14 is xellent cooler for extreme overclockers.V6 gt is also one of the best coolers.if you are going overclock 5ghz+ than dh-14,otherwise v6 can easily handle anything below 5ghz maintaining good temps.evo is really great

I live in India....here investing money for an Air Cooler is not as much as in the case of US or other countries....due to which many good products(Esp: air coolers) are not readily available...if available they are price at more than 25% of their original prices(retailers cover it blaming on shipping charges)..even to buy Noctua I hv to order it from another state which is about 430 Miles!!..and coming to EVO since it is launched only few days back...i think we have to wait for another 1-2 months for launch in INDIA...
m
l
October 11, 2011 10:04:09 AM

lozz08 said:
The corsair hydro H100 is the best cooler available right now that doesn't require a custom setup. It is a prebuilt closed-loop water cooler.

I have a noctua NH-D14 and it is flawless so I recommend that for air coolers.

As i'v said earlier the most recent model available here is corsair H50 which is priced at $120 which is pricy...
m
l
a c 161 à CPUs
a c 295 K Overclocking
October 11, 2011 1:34:02 PM

sai111 said:
As i'v said earlier the most recent model available here is corsair H50 which is priced at $120 which is pricy...

And crap, the NH-D14 performs much better than H50. If you can pay international shipping, sidewindercomputers, frozencpu, performance-pcs are very good sites for buy components.
m
l
October 11, 2011 2:58:57 PM

saint19 said:
And crap, the NH-D14 performs much better than H50. If you can pay international shipping, sidewindercomputers, frozencpu, performance-pcs are very good sites for buy components.

Yes....and the Noctua costs about $100 excluding shipping.....i do want to buy quality products through shipping but RMA process(if required) is again troublesome.....
m
l
October 13, 2011 6:29:45 PM

corsair h70 or h100
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
October 13, 2011 8:28:15 PM

I doubt the V6GT will fit in your case it's 165mm tall.
I have a 690II and have used the 212+ and have since mounted a Corsair A70 in it no problem.
The Corsair improved temps and is quieter even though it has 2 fans.
Both units cost the same here in Canada.
The cpu is a i5 760 btw.
Be nice to know what cpu you plan to cool?
m
l
October 13, 2011 11:51:30 PM

corsair h100 i just brought it last night and installed it.

Heres the temps i get with it
AMD 955 OC to 3600 idle temp = 32-35.

back what i had stock cooler my amd OC to 3600 was reading 46-48 on idle temp.

Big difference
m
l
October 14, 2011 6:32:44 AM

davcon said:
I doubt the V6GT will fit in your case it's 165mm tall.
I have a 690II and have used the 212+ and have since mounted a Corsair A70 in it no problem.
The Corsair improved temps and is quieter even though it has 2 fans.
Both units cost the same here in Canada.
The cpu is a i5 760 btw.
Be nice to know what cpu you plan to cool?

I've checked in coolermaster's site...it says max CPU cooler height is 177mm.....
My processor isi7-950 and i've installed G.Skill ripjaws....
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
October 14, 2011 3:38:53 PM

sai111 said:
I've checked in coolermaster's site...it says max CPU cooler height is 177mm.....
My processor isi7-950 and i've installed G.Skill ripjaws....

For which CM cooler? 177mm tall is incorrect for height.
The installs i've done were with Ripjaws and RipjawsX(both kits are @ 41mm tall)
212+
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?category_id...
Hyper 212 EVO

Edit = ok i got ya you're referring to the case.
The case is 8.4" wide/213.3 mm
That measurement is an exterior one.
One side to the other.
Trust me i'm looking at my case with a 159.5 mm tall Corsair A70 in it.
Cooler height measurement also don't account for the pipe terminations at the top btw.
Or the fans which also are not flush with the cooler top.
I'll saw with confidence a cooler over 165mm won't fit.
m
l
a c 161 à CPUs
a c 295 K Overclocking
October 14, 2011 4:08:02 PM

mrmaia said:
Guy's talking about the max height his case (CM 690II Advanced) fits.

For case you don't check height, you check wide.
m
l
October 14, 2011 4:25:38 PM

saint19 said:
For case you don't check height, you check wide.

The case width determines the max cooler height, you know.

You might want to check CM page:

Maximum Compatibility VGA Card length :304.0mm
CPU cooler height:177.0mm
m
l
October 15, 2011 4:37:11 AM

davcon said:
For which CM cooler? 177mm tall is incorrect for height.
The installs i've done were with Ripjaws and RipjawsX(both kits are @ 41mm tall)
212+
Hyper 212 EVO

Edit = ok i got ya you're referring to the case.
The case is 8.4" wide/213.3 mm
That measurement is an exterior one.
One side to the other.
Trust me i'm looking at my case with a 159.5 mm tall Corsair A70 in it.
Cooler height measurement also don't account for the pipe terminations at the top btw.
Or the fans which also are not flush with the cooler top.
I'll saw with confidence a cooler over 165mm won't fit.

Well i've seen many installation videos in youtube and they say it barely fits(w.r.t the side panel & the width wise the space is sufficient) in the case and that to with RIPJAWS installed (RAM clearance of ~4mm)
m
l
October 15, 2011 4:40:49 AM

Well there is only one dealer of Noctua available in India and there is no availability of NH-D14 right now......the retailer says he has NH-C14 and that both of the coolers offer same cooling....what do u say guys should I go with C14 or wait until D14 arrives in stock?
m
l
a c 120 à CPUs
a c 183 K Overclocking
October 15, 2011 5:25:09 AM

sai111 said:
In fact some of the sites suggest that NH -C14 outperforms the NH -D14 CHECK THIS OUT:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Noctua-NH-C14-CP...

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

For far more conclusive test results that are relevant to your platform i suggest you go here.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/
Where they use a 1366/i7 980X testbed for reviews.
Same at this site a 1366 testbed.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/content/reviews/cooling/
I like HardwareSecrets one of my faves but the test bed is an 1156/i7 860
Frostytech well i won't say what i think about them.=no testbed lol!
For all the noobs that add http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm post here!
straight off of Frostytech site.
"This index does not apply to Intel Core i7 socket 1366 Heatsink performance characteristics" (in the works stay tuned!) or legacy socket 478 heatsinks. [ TOP ]
Yeah ok!
m
l
!