Switching from Intel to AMD

RoknArire

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I currently have an Asus IPIBL-LB Motherboard with an Intel Pentium Dual Core Processor E5200. According to HP's website, it says it supports a list of Intel Processors but I'd like to be able to upgrade it to an AMD processor instead of another Intel. Is this even possible or am I stuck buying a new Intel?

MOBO Info

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01324212&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=3686671

The PC is an HP A6642P

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01559154&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3825388

Thank you much :)

Solution
You are stuck with intel unless you want to buy another motherboard as well. Intel and AMD processors require a motherboard designed specifically to run Intel or AMD. An AMD processor won't even physically fit in the socket of an Intel board, and vice versa. If you want AMD that badly, buy a new motherboard (make sure it will mount in the case) with an AMD socket, and get an AMD processor. However, that really isn't cost effective at all, if you want a faster computer, upgrade the processor to one of the compatible ones listed in your first link, anything else doesn't really make sense unless you are going to build a whole new rig. Good Luck!

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
You are stuck with intel unless you want to buy another motherboard as well. Intel and AMD processors require a motherboard designed specifically to run Intel or AMD. An AMD processor won't even physically fit in the socket of an Intel board, and vice versa. If you want AMD that badly, buy a new motherboard (make sure it will mount in the case) with an AMD socket, and get an AMD processor. However, that really isn't cost effective at all, if you want a faster computer, upgrade the processor to one of the compatible ones listed in your first link, anything else doesn't really make sense unless you are going to build a whole new rig. Good Luck!

Solution

RoknArire

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
Thanks for the replies gang. I've yet to venture into the overclocking realm but I suppose it could be the more cost efficient. I don't have anything against Intel, my laptop is a Dell XPS Gen 2 with a Centrino Processor, and my other Desktop is a QuadCore AMD Phenom. Any recommendations on a starter guide for overclocking?