WD hard disk can detect but not accessible

syahmi

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
yesterday i use my Western Digital hard disk,and it works normally,today,when i'm connected to the laptop,it just detected the HD name type but not the size storage and the (G:) also not detected at my computer.please help me.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Try plugging the external drive into your laptop and turn the ext drive on, before turning the laptop on. That way when the laptop boots up, it should be recognized.

Also when booted up, go to Computer management, and see what it lists in the bottom graphical section as to the Disk status, and Volume status.

The BIOS detects a drive as "Disk 1" etc., the OS recognizes the Drive by drive letter "G", and Windows Explorer uses the "Volume Name" in the file structure.

List for the group the Disk Status (Basic, Disk 1 or Removable, size Online, or what is there) and the
Volume Status (Volume Name, Drive Letter, size, NTFS or other file structue, and Healthy(Active, Primary Partition, or what is there).

Then someone can better determine if anything is amis.

syahmi

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
the basic is recognized by disk 0
298.09 GB

the external hard disk recognized by disk 1
unknown
2048.00 GB
not initialized
(can i know what it means by 'not initialized'?)

And the status of disk 1 appears unallocated.

there is some information i want to tell you
i try plugging my friends external hard disk,and it works normally,but when i plugging my external hard disk, it become cannot accessible.Both of our hard disk is same size(500 GB) and same types(WD hard disk).
And i'm aware something,when plugging the hard disk,the hard disk will vibrate because running or reading the data,but my hard disk just vibrate for a while and stop,it just like the supply power is not enough to read the hard disk.
i wish my information can help a bit.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
hi again,

The disk status indicates that it is a 2 TB HDD, not a 500GB size, there is no disk signature in the MBR, and no file system. If it is making unusual noises then stops, the drive has failed and needs replacement.

The only other thing you should check is that the power supply that came with the drive is connected, rather than a power supply for another smaller drive that might not have adequate power to run this unit. Except for that it need replacement.

vikram_43

Honorable
May 19, 2012