ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009
Hi all.

I am about to upgrade the CPU cooler in my system, but I need a few questions answering first before I go ahead with the upgrade. Firstly my system:

Asus P5KPL/1600
Intel C2D E7300 (currently) @ 2.93Ghz
4Gb Corsair XMS2 DHX

And the cooler I intend to be upgrading to is an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2.
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_42&mID=304
Unless I can be convinced otherwise, this is the best upgrade I can find that is both near-silent and works well and doesn’t cost more than my £20 budget. My questions are:

1. Am I right in saying that the procedure will be just as easy as removing the current stock cooling and placing this cooler on the top?
2. Can I mount the cooler so that the fan faces the rear of my case (facing the I/O)? This will provide the most effective cooling.

Thanks for all replies in advance.

Nick_C

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
I would recommend the Coolermaster Hyper TX2 - approx £15 at the moment.

I had an E6600 running for two years at 3.0GHz under one of those at stock volts - and it's very quiet.

ukcal

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

Thanks for the reply, what would the benefit of purchasing one of these be? As i understand it, one is not a necessity so what is the benefit?

@ Nick_C, thanks, I have done some brief research into this one and it would appear the performance is very much similar to the one I may be getting, although minimally louder. I will look into it more indepthly as of when I need to make a final decision.