Switching between hard drives

Masterroom

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2009
I have 4 hard drives on my rig. It's custom built, but the guy who built it failed to tell me how to boot up the different harddrives. 2 of them are mirrored.

to boot from a drive it has to have an operating system [ ie windows] on it .

Chances are it doesnt have that and the drives are for storage .

If you click on "computer" or "my computer" in the desktop or stat menu you should see the drives listed . Each will have a different letter .

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Does it boot up? I'm assuming yes. That means there is an OS (probably Windows) already installed on one hard drive, and the machine is already set to boot from that drive. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say you want to know "how to boot up the different harddrives". Unless there is a different OS installed on a different drive, you want to leave the boot drive setting as it is.

If it does boot up and you just want to see what's on each drive and use them, Outlander_04 has your answer - use My Computer. The two drives that are "mirrored" likely are arranged in a RAID1 array. Within My Computer, they will appear to be only ONE drive - the details of RAID1 operation and mirroring are being hidden from you.