Sign in with
Your question

Can't access SATA HDD

Last response: in Storage
May 30, 2011 1:58:40 PM

Hello all, I'm a newbi so be gentle please.
Whilst rebuilding my PC recently, I lost access to a SATA HDD (Maxtor STM3500320AS 500GB). It shows up in the BIOS and in Device Manager and also in the Disk Manager but not in explorer. I have tryed to run SeaTools both in windows and from a bootable CD - but it fails to complete. In the scrollable section of DMan it has the following:

Disc 5
Basic
465.76 GB

In the larger box it has 465.76 GB and appears to be just one partition. I have followed lots of threads on how to gain access but none seem to work. If I right click on the partition only the following options are available:

Change Drive Letter and Paths
Format
Delete Volume Properties
Help

If I try to change the drive letter (or give it one) a dialogue box appears telling me the operation failed and I must refresh DMan. When I do this the same dialogue appears. If I close and reopen DMan or restart as suggested - the same happens. When I look at properties it says the partition is an MBR.
The drive contains Data I don't want to loose (some backed up and some I was in the process of backing up - rebuild was to add new TB drive which shows up fine). At some stage (can't remeber when, the drive showed up as RAW)

Could the drive be suffering the dreaded "Busy" issue or is it software related

Any help greatly appreciated

More about : access sata hdd

a c 104 G Storage
May 30, 2011 5:19:18 PM

Hi there,

The BIOS recognizes Disks as "Disk 0", or "Disk 5", while the OS uses the assigned Drive Letter, as "K" etc. and the Windows Explorer uses the Volume Name, as "My BackUp Drive" or "New Volume".

You didn't give us the Volume Status information, just to the right of the Disk Status info, in the graphical section in the lower part of Disk Mgmt, which would really help.

The Disk Status looks fine, it's a: Basic (static drive), 465 GB, and online.
The Volume Status should read something like: Volume Label, Drive Letter, size, File System NTFS, Healthy (Primary Partition).

If it reads "New Volume", right click on it and give it a "Friendly Name" so Windows Explorer will recognize it and put it in he file structure.
That may be all you'll need.
May 30, 2011 10:46:08 PM

I hope I'm replying in the right place here?
Thanks for your reply John. There is nothing else except for the disk size (465GB) in the large bar (I presume this is the volume status) of the Disk Manager to the right of the data I gave above. The box has a blue band at the top and becomes hatched when I select it. This does not look good does it?
Related resources
a c 104 G Storage
May 31, 2011 2:06:16 AM

Hi again,

What OS are you using, and when you right click on the volume status in Disk Mgmt, what are your choices?

The other diagnostic item to try is from the cmd prompt run chkdsk C: /f (the C is the letter of this drive and the /f means fix. It may run at reboot is the drive is your C system drive.

If this is you system drive on this computer, are you able to remove it, and connect to another desktop where you could copy the files from your profile to another disk?
May 31, 2011 7:33:12 AM

Thanks for staying with me.
I am running Win 7 (ultimate) build 7600. The only options when I right click on the volume status in Disk Mgmt are Change Drive Letter and Paths, Format, Delete Volume Properties, and Help. All the other options are greyed out. It is not a system disk (i.e. not my OS disk). If I try to change the drive letter (right click in volume status) a dialogue box appears telling me the operation failed and I must refresh DMan. When I do this the same dialogue appears. If I close and re-open Disk Mgnt or restart as suggested - the same happens. I'm not sure how I can run chkdsk if the drive does not have a drive letter. I have tryed to read the drive on another PC (running XP Professional) and I get the same issues. The drive does show up in SeaTools but non of the tests are available when I select them. The tests work fine on another seagate drive I have on the system.
!