eVGA 280 GTX SSC
eVGA 780i FTW Motherboard
4 GB Mushkin 1066 MHz RAM
150 GB 10k RPM Raptor (Western Digital) HD
1TB 7200 RPM Caviar (Western Digital) HD
Auzentech X-Fi soundcard
Hanns G 28" Monitor
Antec 900 Case
No overclock on any component of any kind, everything is stock speed.

Running: Windows Vista Business 64-bit

here is the problem:

The computer boots just fine, I get to the log in screen just fine, but when I enter my log in password and hit enter, I don't see windows. Instead I see this:

Anyone know what could be causing this?

More about : big problem

August 14, 2009 7:33:40 AM

The big white thing is a camera flash, and also sometimes it's green and not purple, or maybe even another color.
m
l
August 14, 2009 12:22:41 PM

Have you tried to log in to safe mode and see if this happens?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 14, 2009 2:23:11 PM

It looks very much like your system's video card is set to a display mode you monitor can't handle. Try booting into Safe Mode (which almost always will use plain 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 VGA as default) and then resetting the display to the proper one for your monitor. When you do that, normally Windows will change to that mode and show you a screen asking if this is OK and should be made permanent. You check yes and you're done. Of course, if the new setting makes your screen a mess and you cannot even see this message, Windows eventually will time out and realize there's something wrong because you did NOT confirm, and it will revert to the simple default setting.Once it is set here, reboot into normal Windows and it should use that new setting you just made - check the display setting just to be sure.
m
l
August 14, 2009 7:19:38 PM

Paperdoc said:
It looks very much like your system's video card is set to a display mode you monitor can't handle. Try booting into Safe Mode (which almost always will use plain 640 x 480 or 800 x 600 VGA as default) and then resetting the display to the proper one for your monitor. When you do that, normally Windows will change to that mode and show you a screen asking if this is OK and should be made permanent. You check yes and you're done. Of course, if the new setting makes your screen a mess and you cannot even see this message, Windows eventually will time out and realize there's something wrong because you did NOT confirm, and it will revert to the simple default setting.Once it is set here, reboot into normal Windows and it should use that new setting you just made - check the display setting just to be sure.

Nope, this isn't the problem. I haven't changed the resolution or anything since December. The Monitor can handle up to 1920x1200 and does so just fine. Although I did try this and it didn't help fix the situation.

And I can boot into safe mode just fine without any problems, it's only when I boot into normal windows that this happens, and sometimes when I start up a video game, such as WoW or TF2.
m
l
August 14, 2009 7:44:15 PM

Mine did that to my PC when I OC'ed too far.
m
l
August 14, 2009 7:56:19 PM

stevensl2 said:
Mine did that to my PC when I OC'ed too far.

I'm not OC'ing :( 
m
l
a c 136 B Homebuilt system
August 15, 2009 10:31:23 PM

if your screen is fine in safe mode and not in windows you have a driver problem .

You could try reinstalling the driver , but your best bet might be to run system restore back to a time when you werent having this problem

and if that doesnt work try a new gfx card
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2009 3:35:04 PM

Since you can work OK in Safe Mode but not "normal", I agree with Outlander_04 that you probably have a driver problem. To add to his / her suggestion, start in Safe Mode (where you can see) by uninstalling the drivers for BOTH your graphics card and your monitor. Reboot and it should start up with default drivers for plain VGA and a simple monitor - should work BOTH in Safe Mode and "normal". Then install both proper drivers again and reboot. If you get decent display that way, you can check that it has identified your devices properly and is using the newly-installed drivers, then proceed to changing the Display Properties to what you want.
m
l
!