USB Disk erase?

I have Windows 7 Media edition on my laptop, and I just started schooling for Computer Programming. All the computer systems at school run some type of Linux Distro. I figured I would go ahead and erase windows from my laptop and permanently learn/run Linux. How do I go about completely erasing my current laptop hard drive via USB/Flash Drive? The BIOS doesn't allow me to boot from CD so all the shredders I found wont let me mount the ISO file into my flash. Thanks in advance for your help.

PS: Not looking to add a partition, but simply destroy the current hard drive and fresh install Linux (Probably Mint or Ubuntu.
1 answer Last reply
More about disk erase
  1. Hi there,

You might try in the DiskMgmt in the context menu of the Volume, delete the volume. It then reverts to unallocated space. If this is a basic disk with a single large partition as you C drive, it may not permit you to do this.

Recheck your BIOS options, in the CMOS settings there is a "Boot Priority" which you set for Hard Drive, Floppy, CD/DVD, USB etc. You have to be able to boot from a CD/DVD or USB or Floppy, how else would you install any OS on a new build?

Here is a URL that describes how to make a USB bootable, and then copy Ubuntu to the flash drive for installation. http://blog.sudobits.com/2010/07/09/how-to-install-ubuntu-10-04-from-usb-stick/

Hope it's helpful.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Laptops Storage