Sign in with
Your question

Beginner needs help. Overclocking Dell XPS8300 with i5-2300

Last response: in Overclocking
October 10, 2011 11:43:17 PM

i have a Dell xps8300 with the following... (i replaced graphics card and power supply)
i am trying to OC and am having a difficult with the intel software to do so... i was trying the intel extreme tuning utility, or at least i tried and bc i have win7 64bit it wont open... i am stuck and dont know what to do to hold me over.. (i plan on doing a custom build, with help of course)

Processor: i5-2300
Graphics: EVGA GTX570
PS: 700W

http://www.intel.com/support/siu.htm
if you can point a desperate beginner in the right direction it would be overly appreciated!!
refrence #: 0068 5193 (link above, this ref number shows info on the comp)

thank you to whomever can help bc i am growing gray hair at 26 from it pissing me off so bad!
kevin
October 11, 2011 12:45:22 AM

Overclocking a pc bought prebuilt from a retailer like Dell is very hard to do and probably not even worth the trouble. You should probably just save yourself the headache and wait until you build your own pc to overclock.
m
l
October 11, 2011 12:52:20 AM

thank you very much for the advice and i will just stick with this until i start the build.. il make sure this is the motivational factor i need to get started...
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
October 11, 2011 1:26:13 AM

Companies that prebuild computers usually lock down the bios so you can't OC them. A new mobo should all that be needed to be able to be able to OC it beyond what you need normally like proper cooling. Now weither or not it's worth the money is up to you.

You would also need another case, as from what I remember dell had a proprietary setup and normal ATX boards won't fit, even though it looks identical. But in general if you desperate that just means $5 at the local thrift store for a junk computer to use it's case or ask a neighbor or friends if they have an old computer they want to get rid of. Not a big deal if you don't care what kind of case it is.
m
l
October 11, 2011 4:40:12 AM

ya i guess i didnt realize how much i missed gaming when i got the dell... having a desktop again has caused me to abandon the xbox and focus on upgrding the pc... i am going to purchase a tower at my local compusa/tigerdirect store... the question is besides the obvious mb what else would need be purchased? my plan was to buy the tower switch some parts over so i can slowing but surely upgd parts to make a beast gamer pc....
m
l
November 3, 2011 1:34:19 PM

topgun0254 said:
ya i guess i didnt realize how much i missed gaming when i got the dell... having a desktop again has caused me to abandon the xbox and focus on upgrding the pc... i am going to purchase a tower at my local compusa/tigerdirect store... the question is besides the obvious mb what else would need be purchased? my plan was to buy the tower switch some parts over so i can slowing but surely upgd parts to make a beast gamer pc....

Did you ever upgraded the MOBO? Im on the same boat I got XPS 8300 I heard they got intel MOBO specifically or modify by Dell. I have OC thru Windows before with throttle stop SW for my old laptop X7900 but I havent seen any OC software for the Sandy Bridge. I have already change every component from the desktop except for the MOBO.
m
l
!