Robb_58

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Is this cpu suppose to lock in place when installed or does it float in the socket as long as it is in the right position and align with the tabs.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

No its not supposed to move inside the socket.

It should fit inplace with no movement inside the socket. If it does you have not put the lever on the socket properly.

read the instructions within intel and motherboard manual.

Robb_58

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Maybe I was not clear about my question. I know the cpu does not move around when it is lock down. What I want to know is: Is the cpu chip suppose to lock in the socket with it pins, like the old style cpu chip did.
By that I mean you had to pry the chip up off the socket, when you unlock the chip hold down mechcanism.
And of course I read the instruction manual, it has great pictures, but it dosen,t anwser my question. Thanks

slo

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Yes, you jus place it on top of the socket. There are not pins on the new processors, the pins are in the sockets and they have to just contact the points on the proccesor.

With 775 and onwards the proccesor rests on the socket and is locked in place by the lid and is secured later with the latch.

Hopes that answers your question

Robb_58

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
O.K. Yes, that explain exactly what I figured. I haven,t built a computer since 2003 and I know new ways of doing things are coming at least every 18 months. with the cost of A CPU, I wanted to be sure before I button this one up. Thank for the info.