EVGA 580 1.5MB overclocking questions

Reiginko

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
Hello everyone! I'm a bit- no, I'm entirely new to overclocking, and I have a few questions for you who are more educated than I.

First off, I suppose it would be in order to give a rundown of my system. I've just recently purchased a new gaming computer. I probably spent more than I needed to, but it's the first time in my life where I've had enough money to burn on whatever I wanted to burn it on, so I went a bit over the top. In any case, here are the vitals:

Mobo: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3
CPU: Intel i5 2500k with CoolerMaster Hyper 212 aftermarket cooler
GPU: EVGA 580 1.5MB
RAM: 8GB GSkill 1866 DDR3
PSU: 950W Corsair

Now, here are my questions (I've read all the stickies and searched the forum, but mostly just got information overload. I'm sure these have been answered a million times and I apologize in advance):

Would overclocking my GPU show me significant FPS gains, or would I need to overclock my GPU and my CPU in conjunction for that? I've heard of RAM overclocking- is that common practice as well?

When overclocking a GPU, what are considered healthy temperatures? I've searched the internet but mostly found articles written four or five years ago- it seems to me that since the technology has changed it's reasonable to assume the standards may have changed as well.

With regard to overclocking a GPU in SLI, what will happen if the two cards have separate overclocked speeds? Should they always be overclocked to the same degree? My 580 isn't in SLI yet, but when the price drops I plan on adding a second.

Tom's Hardware remains the friendliest and most helpful forum I've visited to date, so I can confidently thank you all in advance for your time and patience! Thanks!

1- Overclocking your GPU would increase performance by 5-10% depends on how far you go in OCing. and for the maximum performance you need to overclock both your CPU and GPU. RAM OCing doesn't add too much value, just a slight performance increase that might not be noticeable.
2- You shouldn't exceed 85C for your GPU safety over time.
3- Let's say you have EVGA and MSI GTX 580s, if the MSI is clocked at 920 MHz GPU clock and the EVGA clocked at 900 MHz the SLI will work with the lowest core clock (900) unless you overclock the EVGA card to (920) to match the MSI. and if the MSI is 3 GB and the EVGA is 1.5 GB both cards will operate at 1.5 GB.
SLI / CF FAQs
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/245454-33-crossfire-faqs