New System questions (Mostly gaming related)

aurua

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Hello,
After a few years of being on a Pentium 3 i've decided now is a good time to upgrade. I just recently purchased the following:

Asus P5KPL-AM SE Motherboard
2 1GB DD2R OCZ Memory Sticks
Intel Core 2 Quad

I also have a 326 GB Western Digital HD & the Nvidia GeForce 7600 (However, The motherboard doesn't support this video card)

So, My question(s) here are:

I'm a gamer. Other than the few parts I am still missing..Would this be a decent setup in order to play the majority of games that are currently out?
(CoD Modern Warfare, L4D, Crysis etc..)

What are some recommended Video Cards? I was thinking of going with the BFG GeForce 9800 GT as that only runs about $90..Would that be fine?

Any other recommendations to enhance this build?

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
500 GB WD Caviar Black if you're concerned about budget, otherwise get a 1 TB. I wouldn't use an older hard drive for anything more than secondary storage unless I absolutely had to. Really should use 4 GB of RAM if you have Vista, If you're content to stick with XP you can still get some performance out of the extra RAM. If you want a good, budget gaming card, I'd be looking more toward a Radeon 4850, 4870 would be better.

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Ouch, you got a low grade mobo, a g31 huh, and no x16 2.0 slots.

Gonna be hard trying to play these newer games on a low grade computer. Maybe you might get low / choppy graphics on l4d but, i doubt you will get far on crysis...

Also, if your going to get a 500gb, get the Seagate 7200.12 500gb.

aurua

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Actually, All is good now but thanks for the help =)

It has one x16 2.0 slot.
Got a new Vid Card: 9400 GT
Intel Core 2 Quad @ 2.40 Ghz..not overclocked yet
Kept the same HD (320 GB)..I'll get a new one soon

I can run any game I want with no problem. L4D isn't that demanding..In fact..You just need a pentium 4 minimum to run it. My computer meets the recommended specs for that game as well as:

CoD: WAW
CoD: MW
Crysis

Those are just some games I bought yesterday and can run them at high settings with no lagg whatsoever and 300 FPS.

Thanks again for the help =)