WD HDD issue

junaid_14014

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
recently i have built my rig and bought WD 15EARS 1.5TB 64MBcache......but when i used HD tune or other programs or even the bios is showing WD 15EADS 1.5TB 32MB cache......im very worried about this......

Casing=Cooler Master 371
PSU=Cooler Master 550w
GPU=HIS 5750 iceQ
MotherBoard=MSI P67A-C43
Processor=Intel i5-2400
RAM=Kingston 4Gbx1 1333bus
HDD=WD 15EARS 1.5TB 64MB cache

Solution
Hi there,

Listed on the WD website are a bunch of Greed SATA drives and the one you asked about specs at 64MB Cache.
WD15EARS SATA 3 Gb/s 3.5 Inch IntelliPower 64 MB1.5 TB 64 MB

There is one with 32 MB Cache listed as:
WD15EADS SATA 3 Gb/s 3.5 Inch IntelliPower 32 MB1.5 TB 32 MB

It's one "letter difference".
I use HDTunePro a lot and respect it's output.

Why not call Western Digital tomorrow and find out sure. Their 800 tele # is 800 275-4932.
Could it have been mislabelled
?
The difference in cache probably doesn't make a big difference, but I would insist on what I researched and paid for.

Let us know what you find out.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi there,

Listed on the WD website are a bunch of Greed SATA drives and the one you asked about specs at 64MB Cache.
WD15EARS SATA 3 Gb/s 3.5 Inch IntelliPower 64 MB1.5 TB 64 MB

There is one with 32 MB Cache listed as:
WD15EADS SATA 3 Gb/s 3.5 Inch IntelliPower 32 MB1.5 TB 32 MB

It's one "letter difference".
I use HDTunePro a lot and respect it's output.

Why not call Western Digital tomorrow and find out sure. Their 800 tele # is 800 275-4932.
Could it have been mislabelled
?
The difference in cache probably doesn't make a big difference, but I would insist on what I researched and paid for.

Let us know what you find out.

Solution

junaid_14014

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

it says 15EARS........thats why i'm worried.....

"......but when i used HD tune or other programs or even the bios is showing WD 15EADS 1.5TB 32MB cache"

You answered your own question. Apparently you got the 32MB version.

Maybe it was mislabelled at the factory (highly possible).

I wouldn't worry. The difference between 32 and 64MB of cash is negligible in real world tests. The difference is probably about >1%. If you really want to send it back and get the 64MB version go ahead.

junaid_14014

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010

there should be a difference in performance of both the hard drives.....?is that difference which u have mentioned above is of the price or the performance.......?

Like I mentioned, I wouldn't worry about it.

What I meant about the 32 vs 64MB of cache is that the difference in speed (performance) will be less than 1%. The price would actually be similar as well since the cache in HDD's are extremely low.

For example, if you do a windows experience index test, i'm fairly certain you will get the same rated speed for your hard drives with the 64MB cache version as with the 32MB cache version.

John_VanKirk

Distinguished
Hi again,

I'd give them a call - it's their dime.

I RMA's an IDE 500GB drive to WD 2 month's back and had a new replacement in 3 days.

Of course, it would be with the understanding you were sent the incorrectly labelled drive, and their testing would prove the 32MB cache didn't match the 64MB labelling. The HDD almost certainly wouldn't prove defective, just defective labelling.

I agree with Chainzsaw the cache difference in size isn't going to make an noticable difference in performance.
It just depends if you spent oodles of time researching and deciding on those certain specifications, or if you just chose it because it looked good, on paper so to speak!