Faulty CPU temp reading

azianboy8

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Hello,

I have an Asus Rampge Formula w/ E8500. Running stock currently w/ a Thermalright 120 Extreme. Temps on my old P5W was in low 30s.

Currently Core 0 is stuck at 39 no matter what I use to stress it (Everest, Prime95, Intel Burn), and no matter what temp monitor I use (Speedfan, Core Temp, Real Temp, Everest, BIOS). Core 1 idle is at 74-80! And stressed it goes up to 81 and doesn't move.

CPU voltage is at 1.25. CPU PLL is at 1.5 or AUTO, but on the hardware monitor it shows PLL at 3.2, no matter what I try to change it to.

What's the problem here? Faulty MOBO, CPU? Are my temps and voltage really that high? Using BIOS version 0803 and Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

That's not bad for room temps. But if you point a fan towards the tower, you'll get a more difinitive answer.

What are the CPU temps in the BIOS?

azianboy8

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
No fan readily available to blow at it. Just have my 120mm cpu fan on the heatsink.

BIOS was a little be weird. When I installed my CPU under the original BIOS, it reported my CPU as above 100C. I cleared CMOS and relfashed to my current BIOS. Temps dropped to the current 74-80C in BIOS (no separate core readings).

Same chip and heatsink on my old P5W shows low 30s C, upper 40s C under full load.