New MOBO and CPU Fresh install help

amarp84

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hi all, so I finally gathered up all my new stuff and am ready to take my dimension 4700 apart and put all my new stuff in the new case. I just had a few questions since this is my first time installing a new mother, cpu, etc.

I plan on installing a fresh version of Windows XP. Should I format the hard drives before I even install the motherboard or should I just put the computer together, pop the Windows CD in first boot and reformat? I don't know what to even expect when I boot the computer up the first time after putting the computer together. Do I need to install software for the mobo or will it automatically detect itself?

Finally here is my new system specs. Hopefully everything is compatible with each other (I did the research and I think it is, but not positive, so any tips will help.) If you guys have any tips at all on the process for replacing the motherboard and installing a new op system please post below. Thanks alot!!!

ASUS M4A785-M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon II X4 630 Propus 2.8GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Processor
PC Power and Cooling 500 Watt Dell Compatible Power supply
Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 SATA Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST380013AS 80GB Hard Drive
Nvidia Geforce 8800GT Video Card
COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

shagrathdex666

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
of course you need to format your hd through win xp installation that will assure free issues of o.s
do you know how to install amd cpu here's some help_:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hChFXGwvFo

when you finish installing win xp browse through the asus website to find your
motherboard drivers:

http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=ef0qgvMIwOUagAVl&content=download

make sure you install win xp on the correct hd and install antivirus logicallly,
then always remember after installing make the os hd as boot primary at the bios.
that way the pc will seek that hd in order to load win xp.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Hopefully, this might help you quite a bit.

1. Format your HDD using windows xp installation disc
2. (Optional) Create partitions for your HDD
3. Install XP in one of the partitions (if applicable)
4. After installation, install the appropriate drivers (you could use the CD/DVD that comes with your motherboard package or download the drivers from the manufacturers site)
5. Install your favorite softwares.
6. etc.

hella-d

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
If Im Not Mistaken No, Depending On The Age Of The Dell, Some Older Dells Used Propriatary Cabling (Even Though It Was Still ATX, The Wire Routing Was Different) The Newer Ones Are Standard Though.

TRENDING THREADS